• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks great!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today has been 12 days out of his collar!! I’m so happy for him :) He hasn’t mutilated or plucked feathers! In fact, he has lost 4 flight feathers just through natural molting :loveshower:

And, I can target him all over the inside of his cage and the cage top! Not only that, but he will Step Up on a rope perch without even seeing the treat!!!

I’ve been mixing Harrison’s with his chop, and offering him Greywood Manor Pretty Plume tea from time to time hoping it will help him with the feathers he has still. I ordered the Red Palm Oil, but he’s not shown an interest in that yet.

31C5BBF5-1BBB-48E4-A89D-E1FC9CAD2DB6.jpeg He even has some pins coming in on his shoulders! Hopefully he’ll leave them alone.
BC8B174B-A989-48F1-BDA0-5A1902EB9297.jpeg

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’m so glad for you guys! He’s just the cutest.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's one heck of an amazing update! I'm glad I was sitting down. The good news just kept coming! :bounce3:

Hooray for Opie and Hooray for you! :cheer:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news! I smile every time I see Opie. I even had my husband look at him as I told him the story.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
3F78A7F9-BF4C-410E-926F-DAA626D6F1C7.jpeg
More pins coming in on his shoulders! I so hope he’ll leave them alone. He is offered regular bathing opportunities and misting to try to keep him comfortable. I’m trying to keep an eye on the humidity, too. Who knows? Maybe he’ll have a full set of wing feathers some day :)

Musiclady

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
So, I had a cockatiel that was a feather plucked and mutilator as well because he had a calcium deficiency. We tried the e-collar for him for years to no avail. Finally, what I did was I took his measurements and made a type of coat for him. So, I used a raincoat material and I would sew fallen feathers from him and my other birds onto it. I don't think I ever took a picture of it otherwise I would post one for you. But it allowed him the behavior without him mutilating himself. And the plastic was hard and slippery enough that he could never bite through it.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clever! Unfortunately, I don't think that would work for Opie because he throws such tantrums at anything he has to wear. Something covering his entire torso would probably not work for him. Mostly, I hope he never mutilates his chest again. So far so good!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie is definitely molting! I pick up several feather from the bottom of his cage daily, and none of them have been plucked. Some have been over-preened. He is starting to get some red pins on the bends of his wings, and he even has a tiny down feather on one of his legs! I thought it was a piece of food at first, lol!

AB254540-66D0-4A4A-88C2-19E873A516C4.jpeg 77CBDF5F-C6D9-4DE7-A3E1-AAA1034B76C2.jpeg