• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Pat H
The meds that she is taking (Celebrex, Sildenafil, Gabapentin and Garlic) cannot be nebulized. When she calms down a little the Dr. may want to nebulize her to help her air sacs, damaged by the Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome. Right now keeping her weight up and getting her to be more handeable are the main objectives.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve been following your saga, and have decided to pass our story to you. Boo is my 14 year old Quaker DNA sexed male. He’s a single bird. When he was around 4-5 years, I noticed a small wound under his right wing. Haldol turned him into a zombie. It healed quickly without anymore consequence. Slowly over the next few years he would get hormonal in the spring and pluck and mutilate under the same right wing. It’s so common with Quakers, there is a name for it, Quaker Mutilation Syndrome. He would wear a collar for a few weeks and it would pass. Then he began barbering all his chest feathers. This was year round. In 2018, he wore a collar for six months. I tried a lower dose of Haldol, Gabapentin, and finally Prozac. Those six months were heartbreaking. He would not play, stayed in his sleep hut constantly, and almost lost his will to live. His labs and tests were always normal.
Prozac works on the brain chemical Serotonin. Same in humans as birds. It helped jar him out of his depression. Since then, I’ve weaned it off, and had to restart it last spring for a short time.
some birds are going to pluck. As long as they are healthy and not mutilating. Sometimes, you end up with a naked bird. Until you can safely keep the collar off, I don’t think you’ll get his real personality.
One tip for placing the ruffled collar on; fasten the collar closed loosely and hold the collar in front of Opie. As he moves forward to get away from you, he will sorta walk into the collar. You can slip his head in the opening while you unfasten the opening and refasten it tighter. It’s very trying with a plucker. If only they could tell us why. People who bite their nails, or pull their hair often don’t know what started it. Ask your vet about Prozac. It may settle him down.
:hug6::heart2:
Thank you for sharing your experience! I’m so sorry you and your grey have had to go through that!

I wish he would walk into the collar to get away from me, but in my experience, he is more likely to bite it or me.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie tried to take a bath in his water dish with the collar on today. It and he were soaked and cold. I got out a heat lamp to use in addition to his sweeter heater, just for a short time. So, I had to get the wet collar off and place a clean one on him.

He escaped from the towel while getting the wet collar off, and a chase ensued to towel him to get the new collar on. Now he is not speaking to me (of course), and he is holding up his left food a bit. I'm assuming it was sprained or bruised in the chaos. I have a call in to my vet--again.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm a good enough home for him.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie tried to take a bath in his water dish with the collar on today. It and he were soaked and cold. I got out a heat lamp to use in addition to his sweeter heater, just for a short time. So, I had to get the wet collar off and place a clean one on him.

He escaped from the towel while getting the wet collar off, and a chase ensued to towel him to get the new collar on. Now he is not speaking to me (of course), and he is holding up his left food a bit. I'm assuming it was sprained or bruised in the chaos. I have a call in to my vet--again.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm a good enough home for him.
Vet called and he wants to see him. So off we go. :(

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought I would share what worked with a foster bird of ours who had to wear a fleece petal collar like the one you’re using now.

Our blue crown was capital P pissed when the collar came into his life. His mutilation was thought to be from heavy metals but even after a long detox program he continued to self harm, so collar it was.

We survived by having more collars than most people have underwear in the dresser! Our conure was so angry at the collar that it really helped him the first couple weeks to have dedicated ones he was allowed to destroy. We found out he would leave the one on his body alone if we hung a spare one he could go angrily bite and rip up. That angry beak would shred the spare collars and almost like throwing a tantrum, he would aggressively go after it until he was satisfied and then he would act like a normal bird. Seriously. If he were trying to do something, like forage, and the collar he was wearing impeded his motion and he got frustrated... he would almost stomp over to where a second petal collar was and proceed to beat the crap out of it. He’d then be halfway exhausted and decide to go sing to his food dish.

We had collars purchased from the vet, from Etsy, from all over the internet. Many different colors. It didn’t matter. If he had to be wearing a collar, he had to have an extra one he could be mad at and get to destroy.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought I would share what worked with a foster bird of ours who had to wear a fleece petal collar like the one you’re using now.

Our blue crown was capital P pissed when the collar came into his life. His mutilation was thought to be from heavy metals but even after a long detox program he continued to self harm, so collar it was.

We survived by having more collars than most people have underwear in the dresser! Our conure was so angry at the collar that it really helped him the first couple weeks to have dedicated ones he was allowed to destroy. We found out he would leave the one on his body alone if we hung a spare one he could go angrily bite and rip up. That angry beak would shred the spare collars and almost like throwing a tantrum, he would aggressively go after it until he was satisfied and then he would act like a normal bird. Seriously. If he were trying to do something, like forage, and the collar he was wearing impeded his motion and he got frustrated... he would almost stomp over to where a second petal collar was and proceed to beat the crap out of it. He’d then be halfway exhausted and decide to go sing to his food dish.

We had collars purchased from the vet, from Etsy, from all over the internet. Many different colors. It didn’t matter. If he had to be wearing a collar, he had to have an extra one he could be mad at and get to destroy.
You know, this just might work for him. I currently have a spare that I can't use on him because he pulled it off and tore some of the fleece. I can start with that one, and then find some others online or make them.

The vet looked over his legs and feet thoroughly, but did not find any cuts or abrasions or tender spots. So, we came home with instructions that if he was favoring that leg again today, I could pick up some pain relieving medication for him. I'm somewhat fortunate in that I think he would take medicine if I put it in some banana or cooked sweet potato.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe, just maybe, we are beginning to make some progress!!

He's only tried to kill me twice in the last two days, lol! :)

He gets a few hours of time out of his cage, and I've tried to load him up with chew toys. I'm introducing new veggies for him to try, and running him all over the play area using the target stick.

I've ordered some fleece to make more collars (because I do sew), but he didn't seem interested in killing the collar I hung in his cage...instead he wanted to snuggle with it! :facepalm:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I know nothing about this, but I think it’s so sweet of you to take him in!! I’m sure it’ll pay off in the long run! And I’m sure deep down he appreciates it a lot :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It takes so much time with a damaged bird (not to denigrate that he is ill too). I'm facing much the same battles with Kitty and she also had a small break through. We have to just keep telling ourselves - Patience, Patience.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It takes so much time with a damaged bird (not to denigrate that he is ill too). I'm facing much the same battles with Kitty and she also had a small break through. We have to just keep telling ourselves - Patience, Patience.
My daily mantra now!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well patience is paying off already as far as I can see....

you persevered with the collars and distractions, and he has not been as fierce over the last couple of days. I would love to see pics of him and his new love interest, he is such a beautiful boy, hope his gf compliments his eyes!! :heart::heart:

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Vet called and he wants to see him. So off we go. :(
Are you kidding...you are the best! This bird wouldn't have any kind of happy existence if you didn't adopt him! You are doing everything in your power to give him the best! I am wishing you all the encouragement in the world to help you with this transition. It's hard..I feel for you! You are doing great and I applaud your love and respect for Opie!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well patience is paying off already as far as I can see....

you persevered with the collars and distractions, and he has not been as fierce over the last couple of days. I would love to see pics of him and his new love interest, he is such a beautiful boy, hope his gf compliments his eyes!! :heart::heart:
I’ll see what I can do! Today is a challenging day because I put a plexiglass sheet on top of his cage. I hoped it would be easier on his feet than having to walk across the bars. Also, once he is sharing space with the budgies, he would definitely try to bite their toes if they landed on his cage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
9C971604-A81B-4C84-8823-42D2C56ED0C2.jpeg
This is one of his ‘girlfriends’. He will either play with and chew on it (sometimes just resting his beak like above while flicking his tongue in and out), or.....

AC35F5D7-AFE4-4F23-8CA4-5CEC6BD123A3.jpeg
he will rest the kabob on his back and slowly scratch his head and occasionally suck on his toes.

Again, he is an oddly tactile boy! Lol!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you kidding...you are the best! This bird wouldn't have any kind of happy existence if you didn't adopt him! You are doing everything in your power to give him the best! I am wishing you all the encouragement in the world to help you with this transition. It's hard..I feel for you! You are doing great and I applaud your love and respect for Opie!
That is so kind of you to say! I do really feel in over my head, but I get up and try to work on our relationship every day. Some progress, some not...kind of a mixed bag, lol!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well the gf does bring out his beak colours! :D

he is so adorable and looks like he is settling down a bit. Must be tough for him to experience so many changes all at once PLUS hormones! :wideyed:

Poor baby...:heart: