• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Exactly!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So yes, he does bite when I offer the wrong treat. He did it again today. He was on the t-perch attached to the door, and I was sitting talking to him. Occasionally I would offer a treat. I pulled out a treat he didn’t like, and he bit my finger instead of taking the treat.

I didn’t react except to gently close the door with him riding the perch. I have offered no more treats this evening.

I hope that was a correct way to approach it!

63496C36-E5D0-4E66-9D20-E26EC11E16EE.jpeg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Awwwhhh he looks so cute on top of the cage.:sadhug2:

Sorry he is being a cranky butt.

Think he is just biting treat or no treat or maybe he is training you? :shocking:

Bottom line is you don't want to give him the opportunity to bite so I would not offer my hand to him with treats for a while.
Closing the door with him on the perch put him back in the cage which is a reaction.

Not sure what I would do but you don't want him to bite & if offering treats now gets a bite reaction then don't offer them with your hand.

Try placing a small treat cup outside of the cage near the t stand so he can see you do it & associate it with you & good things & not have the chance to bite.

Putting him away after a bite may not teach him not to bite but it gives you a break.

Hope there will be more advice as I'm really not experienced with behavior modification.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
maybe he is training you?
He may be trying to, but I'm not going to allow it. So, when he bit me for offering a piece of walnut instead of a sunflower seed, I did not give him a sunflower seed. Instead, I ended our 'treat and chat' session.

Putting him away after a bite may not teach him not to bite but it gives you a break.
No, it may not. But it's a start.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Use the sunflower seed then. Once you know what they will work for it gives you more control. Right now you want to associate yourself with good things. Save the hands on for a while. Offer the sunflower seed in a treat cup. I'd tend to stop with the hand right now as he has been unreliable & you just don't want him to get used to getting a bite in.

Probably a long road but he is Mr Cranky right now so you might have to forgive him that & no hand until he gets out of this mood & gets more used to the new surroundings.
He will be happier if he gets out though & it could take his mind off his troubles.

Reactions: tjc

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Darn him anyway. Can you towel him and get it back on.

BTW - Have you asked your vet about putting him on Gabapentin. It is a very good neural pain killer and provides some sedation.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It has worked well with Kitty. Calms her just enough that she is not crazy and i can work with her a little.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dang it!!!! I'm shaking, he's mad as a snake and I don't blame him, and I barely got the thing on! I tried to test whether it was too tight, and he was fighting with everything he had the whole time. I'm going to have to keep him up a while just to make sure he can eat and drink :(

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Take a deep breath. You've got this, it will get better. :hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, I;d be shaking too. Opie does not know you are trying to help him.
He's terrified being held that way & have a noose around his neck but he needs it to get well.

Good Job. I hope its on well & not too tight.

Yes watch him & hopefully you wont have to adjust it.

Take a break & give him a treat. Hopefully you both will settle & its OK

:sadhug2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish I had better toweling skills. I just do such a mediocre job, and I don't know how to towel the bird while keeping the head free enough to do this well!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Unfortunately you need a free head & neck to put on a collar so its not that easy for one person to do. Hard to put on a collar with only one hand & hold a toweled bird!

:sadhug2:

Can you try to lay him down in the towel so you don't have to hold him or struggle as much?

:think1:

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you try to lay him down in the towel so you don't have to hold him or struggle as much?
No I really can't. I have to use the towel to catch him in the cage so it's over the top of him. I scoop him up and wrap the loose ends underneath him. Even that is tough with him kicking and screaming. Plus, he has no feathers so I'm trying not to bruise him or mess up the ones he does have...:sad1:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I feel for you - I had/have the same issue with Kitty. She fights like a Banshee, although she is getting better.

The only thing I can think of is that you keep enough material to cover his head. To keep him more quiet then put the collar on over the material and pull the material from under the collar.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel for you - I had/have the same issue with Kitty. She fights like a Banshee, although she is getting better.

The only thing I can think of is that you keep enough material to cover his head. To keep him more quiet then put the collar on over the material and pull the material from under the collar.
It's so stressful and exhausting, isn't it? I'm going to be watching him like a hawk tonight on the camera to make sure he's OK. I hope he didn't bruise. The vet's office told me I could bring him in to have the techs put it back on him in the morning. I may do that if I think it's just not right, and I can't come up with a way to do it carefully on my own.

He struggles so much that as soon as I drop the towel down from his head just a bit, he can begin to wriggle his way on out of the towel! I just can't think of a way around this at the moment, ugh!!!