• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With a harness I think I would worry about him trying to get it off and getting his foot caught underneath it in the struggle. I can’t begin to imagine toweling him and trying to fit his wings through a harness right now. I’d probably come pretty close to losing a digit! There is a store that sells little knit Kevlar vests for mutilators, and I considered it...but the same struggle would remain of getting it on and off of him.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I have a question...when he is the holding onto the cage bar nearest him with his beak or hanging by his beak and fluttering his wings hormonal or just wanting attention?

I understand the conure body language of the slow head bob, flared tail, and regurgitation as hormonal, but I don't know about the biting the cage or hanging from his beak with the fluttery wings is lumped into the same category or just seeking attention.

And thankfully I have a nice, thick towel on the bottom of the cage, because he fell while having a fit at his collar earlier today. I have a couple of perches down lower, but he doesn't use them often.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most birds when they hang onto something and flap a lot are just getting exercise - excess energy. It's good to encourage that behavior. Few captive birds get enough exercise.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most birds when they hang onto something and flap a lot are just getting exercise - excess energy. It's good to encourage that behavior. Few captive birds get enough exercise.
I wish it were actual flapping! It’s more like rapid shaking of the wings but he holds them just slightly away from his body.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would really like to give him a mist on his tail and wings and back, but I'm afraid the collar will get a bit too gross--and I don't have a backup yet.

His first bath was in his water dish, and I'm almost afraid he'll try it with the collar on. Unfortunately, he's fallen a couple of times now :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would really like to give him a mist on his tail and wings and back, but I'm afraid the collar will get a bit too gross--and I don't have a backup yet.

His first bath was in his water dish, and I'm almost afraid he'll try it with the collar on. Unfortunately, he's fallen a couple of times now :(
I wonder if you could take him back to the vet and have them trim the collar?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had thought about that, and still might do so. I'm also going to order a different type of collar. I think it might be helpful because it would keep him from being able to bend his neck enough to reach his chest, but would not interfere with his feet. It's sort of a thick roll. This company also carries a kevlar vest, of all things, that would be a last resort!

Huggle_Botanical_S_800x.jpg
Huggle Soft Neck Collar for Severe Feather Plucking

KevlarVestTimmy2copy_800x.png
Kevlar Bird Vest For Self-Mutilators

I'm going to order that neck collar and try it when it gets here. 'Course, that will mean toweling him, but it's what must be done!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel6: :shocking::excited1::bighug::bliss::loveshower::smileflower:

Perches on inside of doors are excellent! This way you open it & they are out. Hope he goes back easily...

Maybe next time put a small perch on the side bars on top of the open door so he can get on to & then climb to the top of the cage. He looks so proud!

Last edited:

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wish it were actual flapping! It’s more like rapid shaking of the wings but he holds them just slightly away from his body.
Casey does that - usually while waiting to be let out. He sometimes hangs to rest/stretch his feet for a moment.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I really like that cage! What is it?

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
How did it go getting him to go back in the cage for bed time. I know he was super stoked to get some out of cage time. He is so Handsome :heart:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fortunately he did not climb to the top that time. I could get him to move back to the T-perch on the door and gently swing it closed. Then offered many treats in his food dish :)