• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At the moment, I work 60% of my day in the office and 40% at home. I arrived home to find that Opie had managed to get his collar off and had taken a bath in his water dish :laughin:

He's such a fink! Lol!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I realize that with anything having to do with birds, it is two steps forward and one back. Opie has woken on the wrong side of the perch today and yesterday. Bites the cage bars when I walk by, rushes the edge of the cage top when I walk by, bites and tries to remove the rope perch from the cage top when I ask him to step up. I have to go do some yard work, so he and the Blue Boys will have to stay in their cages for more than I'd like this afternoon.

I so wish I understood what was bothering him. If he keeps this up, I may talk to my vet about him.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe it's this molt? He has lost some major feathers again, and he currently has more pin feathers on his head than I have yet to see with him. I've been misting him daily to help. He won't let me help him with the pins since I can't touch him. Hopefully the daily misting will help!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Maybe it's this molt? He has lost some major feathers again, and he currently has more pin feathers on his head than I have yet to see with him. I've been misting him daily to help. He won't let me help him with the pins since I can't touch him. Hopefully the daily misting will help!
Soon you’ll have a big fluffy sweetheart I just know it. You’re doing amazing!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If he's molting, you can try giving him so Brewers Yeast, human grade. It's good for the stress of molting.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@sunnysmom -- Would the brewers yeast work also for my Mourning Dove? -- she's an older one [five now if I remember correctly]... She gets so much hands-on loving from my husband, that her feathers are NOT in the best shape. She always gets some Moulting food [about 1/4 t ] daily, but I'm sure much of that is wasted. Thank you...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom -- Would the brewers yeast work also for my Mourning Dove? -- she's an older one [five now if I remember correctly]... She gets so much hands-on loving from my husband, that her feathers are NOT in the best shape. She always gets some Moulting food [about 1/4 t ] daily, but I'm sure much of that is wasted. Thank you...
I think it would. You can sprinkle it on food 2 or 3 times a week.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Right around the time you adopted your Opie, I switched jobs and stopped checking posts for awhile.. I didn't know he was so aggressive to you :(

Poor little dude.
You have so much patience and love!

It's really hard to see people with their sweet cuddly baby birds and not be able to share that at home.. I actually did hear from a blue crown conure breeder who had eggs, like the day after I decided to adopt my new boys.
That was difficult.

But almost anyone can get a baby to trust them. Whether he knows it yet or not, what you are giving Opie is so much more important. :xflove:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, @Elysian! I know you’re right. And yes, I went into the adoption hoping for a bird who actually liked me and enjoyed my company—maybe even wanted a head scratch now and again. Sometimes it is hard when he’s having an awfully aggressive day. But he is a unique soul who deserves the best I can give him. And I do love the little rascal! Even when he wants to kill me! Lol!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really having a feeling sorry for myself string of days. I feel like I'm not doing anything right with Opie. I just don't think he'll ever trust me, that he will ever *not* want to bite me at every opportunity. It's like he will never calm down--and I know it's on me. Getting through to him somehow is my responsibility because he is just relating to his world in the best way he knows. I just feel incapable, inexperienced, and incompetent to create a trusting relationship with him. And I know it's only been 4.5 months. I just hoped we might have made a bit more progress by now. Will he always be completely "no touch"? Will using a rope perch be my only option with him for the rest of his life? That just makes me so sad!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I can't answer that but I can tell you just by reading your posts how far you've come with Opie. I always look forward to seeing pictures of him and reading what he's been doing. :hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm glad you're posting about this. You really will be surprised when you look back. :yes:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't answer that but I can tell you just by reading your posts how far you've come with Opie. I always look forward to seeing pictures of him and reading what he's been doing. :hug8:
Thank you so much! When I think back to my first week with him home versus now, the progress seems amazing. I know I need to up my patience again. It's just been hard these past few days.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Lady Jane had posted some really good training/ taking videos awhile back. I will see if I can find them. I thought they had some good ideas that I hadn't seen before. Some birds just take longer to come around than others. Hang in there.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Kassiani , I know it's hard to raise a special child sometimes, but i must emphasize that you're the MOST sweet, sensible and sincere mom ever.... Have patience, you (both) will win :heart:

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Dear Kassiani...Please don't beat yourself up! You are a marvelous bird mommy and remember...Opie more than likely had lots of emotionally issues to get over. What I mean is...even though you have provided the absolute most loving and healthy enriched environment...these birdies don't respond as quickly as we think they should. You can't do anymore! The progress you have made with Opie is above and beyond! You are wonderful for taking this poor baby into your care! Thank God he found you to be his parront.

I send you love, health and encouragement!:heart:

Last edited: