• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Me Kill A Bug!!! Gross, Funny, Serious!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hope it's a bug... or maybe I dont. o_O

Four years ago I bought two grapevine T stands, one I loved and mounted to the top of my living room table and the other was not the best piece and it went into the garage.

About maybe a year ago I was having a cup of coffee and heard a strange sound coming from the tree. Yes, at first I thought I was crazy but after some questionable moments I did in fact assure myself it was coming from my T stand. Thinking some nasty bug was going to pop out I quickly threw it into the garage to deal with at a later time.

I disassembled the stand and soaked the log in F10, about a month later I brought it back into the house. Noise free. ;)

A few months later my husband heard a strange clicking noise in the garage. Lo and behold the other T stand was making the very same sound. :wideyed: As this one was in the garage and not to our liking we left it be and never heard it after that day.

This morning, again having my coffee, my mounted T stand started up again. :eek: This time it almost sounded as if something inside was crawling/scratching or something. :wtf: I did not wait to hear more and again... it's in my garage.

I love this stand. I won't share with a bug!
What bug is living in it? :cautious: Does it stay in there or come out when I'm not looking? :wtf: What is it eating? :depressed: How did it live in there for four years through WI winters and steam cleanings? :jawdrop1:

How do I kill it? :dead::dead::dead::dead:

I'm thinking of some giant prehistoric cockroach or something! It's not coming back in the house until it's DEAD!!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
could it be cicada, they are pretty good size and live underground and in wood piles for like 7 years?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not funny. Just :eeeek:

I also considered you might have some kind of hallucinogenic drug in your coffee :pinklol2:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
most cicadas spend the early stages of their life underground and need living roots to feed from, so I don't think it's one of them

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Ummm, I'm not sure. Want to come over and check it out? :shy:

What would kill one? :laugh:
Cicadas are large and ugly but totally harmless - are any parts of the stand big enough for a mouse to burrow into?

I've taken photos of newly hatched cicadas but I have the feeling you won't want to see them. They are actually quite beautiful with iridescent green wings ...

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
OMG! I would throw the whole thing in the fireplace. Seriously!
I hope you can resolve the problem.
:scared4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Come on Sarah, you live out in the countryside. With horses around you. And birds. And a petting zoo.

And bugs faze you? Girl, you've got to put your :biggirl::biggirl::biggirl: on, put on your riding boots and (cover your ears insect lovers on AA) stomp the hmmm life out of the suckers ... Just leave the cicadas alone, I'll come and get them ... upload_2015-12-30_18-4-10.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wondering if keeping it out in the garage over the winter and you get a good freezing spell, if that would kill it off.

The other one was in the garage for two years before we heard it. :cautious:

What if I submerge it in the bathtub for a day?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
They are wood boring and make clicking sounds. There are some videos on YouTube if the sounds

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I use to find them in wood pile at the farm. they are ugly as sin and noisy as H#)(. the first time had one on me you could have heard to Sandra's house screaming. uncle thought it was funny until I put one down the back his britches. then it was not so funny.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Cicadas are not funny i hate them we have them here YEAR AROUND from March- July and May- September!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My grandmother always said that when the cicadas started singing early it meant that it was going to be a hot day (in Brazil). this theory seems to work in my area in summer too.

@Crazy4parrots Give me a cicada any day over a cucaracha (cockroach).

Last edited: