• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me Decide on a Parrot

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
Hi Avian fam-bam!

full transparency. I am overwhelmed with the possibilities. I want all the birds. But I must only pick one fir my household. At first I want a small conure, then I change my mind and want a macaw.

YES - I have parrot experience. I have babysat and cared for fosters and I’ve learned a few things along the way.

1 - I cannot have any dusty species in my home, too many allergy and asthma sufferers among my small kids and husband.

2 - we are a playful, silly, dancing fun household but with the occasional chasing and yelling at toddlers while I run to take them to the potty LOL.

3 - I work from home all day and have tons of space and time during the day to give and clicker train.

SPECIES I’M CONSIDERING:
- Blue Crown Conure
- Red-Bellied Parrot
- Golden Conure
- Amazon (one of the calmer more social ones if I can find one)
- Blue & Gold Macaw (a constant in my dreams that I can’t shake)

help me deciiiiiiiide

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is drawing you to those species?

How much space for a cage do you have?

The golden conure is on the CITES list and cannot move across state lines, so do you have access to one in your state? Or will a move be in your future... Ever?

Have you taken your kids to meet birds to be sure the dander doesn't affect them? Even non dusty species produce some dander

Missyszlee

Real Name
Missy
What is drawing you to those species?

How much space for a cage do you have?

The golden conure is on the CITES list and cannot move across state lines, so do you have access to one in your state? Or will a move be in your future... Ever?

Have you taken your kids to meet birds to be sure the dander doesn't affect them? Even non dusty species produce some dander
I have a 3 story home and have space for a 3 foot x 2 foot cage in my living room.. I also have a lower level of my house where the living room would essentially be the bird area.

my kids have been around birds and they absolutely love them.. while they do have asthma, we are doing additional allergen testing to see what is possible.

What’s drawing me to these species are a few things:
- I like a medium size parrot, something more hardy.
- a social parrot personality that is very playful and may even repeat things my kids could say is a bonus
- sweet in nature

Missy

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Then I'm no help because your description could be any of them plus basically all species :lol:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Missyszlee

Real Name
Missy
Hey all,
I have room for a big cage, particularly in my downstairs space.

believe me, I would never put a bird in a cage that wasn’t appropriate to their size.

I’m focusing right now on the right choice to make a far as species..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If a macaw is your dream bird, then that's what you should get. Whatever species you get, you will hopefully have him for a long, long time. So you should start with what you really want. There are many great birds in rescues in need of homes and hopefully the rescue can give you an idea of what the bird is like and whether it's a good fit for your home.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I agree with @sunnysmom. You have researched and thought about this plenty - get the bird you really want. Not a second choice.

My very first bird was the guy to the left - a wild caught, male, GW macaw, 19 years old. He died nine years ago and is still the love of my life.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
full transparency. I am overwhelmed with the possibilities. I want all the birds. But I must only pick one fir my household. At first I want a small conure, then I change my mind and want a macaw.
YES - I have parrot experience. I have babysat and cared for fosters and I’ve learned a few things along the way.

well, not really full transparency.
It sounds like you have a Hahns, and you just got an Illigers in April or May of this year. So you are adding to you flock. And I'd recommend waiting a little while before adding another so soon after your last addition. It's been 2 months at most.

https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/illiger%E2%80%99s-macaw-owners-where-u-at.263028/

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you wanting a different bird because you’re currently unhappy with the ones you have? I gave advice to you on your brand new Illiger’s baby. Are you not finding the baby to your liking? Is the older Hahn’s having behavior issues?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Recently the American Federation of Aviculture successfully petitioned to have them removed from the ESA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder