• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me choose between two birds!

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
After contacting 32 different breeders, bird stores, and rescues, I have 2 leads on potential Jardine’s! My breath caught the first time I found one- I’d gotten so many “sorry, we can’t help you”s that I was getting a little discouraged.

So here’s the breakdown:
  • A pair of 1 ¼ YO hand-fed birds, 1 male and 1 female that are ready to be picked up immediately
  • A chick that will hatch within the month, then be hand-fed by the breeder until ready to be weaned. I would be able to visit once or twice and get regular updates on the status of the chick. This bird would probably end up being more expensive

So, which would YOU choose? I’m leaning toward the 1YO male, but I don’t want my eagerness to cloud my judgement. Is being able to monitor the weaning process worth the extra wait? Will personality be set in the older birds?

…am I over thinking this?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I think it depends.
In my opinion If i have to work away from home during the day and there will be an extended amount of time where the bird will be left alone I feel like I’d go for the pair.

On the other hand If I were able to stay home and have lots of quality time with the bird then I’d get the chick.

From what I’ve experienced, hand raised chicks form a stronger attachment to you and are more loving and comfortable around you than chicks that weren’t hand raised. Also from what I’ve read and experienced a solo bird will be more willing to connect with you than one that is already in a pair.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There's really no benefit to seeing the weaning process IMO.

All these birds are babies realistically. The 1 year olds are still not mature.

And hand raised definitely doesn't necessarily mean they will form a stronger bond with you. My Quaker was hand raised by a stranger and I picked him up at 3 months old and he hates me :lol:

If it were me, I would want the older female. I love girl birds... Maybe because I always end up with boys ;)

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
If you could go and visit and interact with the pair, you can get a feel for their personality and that might help with the decision. Are they bonded, tame, a breeding pair? My first bird was about a year old when I got him and we formed a very strong bond (of course he was a singleton). My daughter has a 6 month old conure and he is very high maintenance right now. He is great of course but hand raising doesn't guarantee the training or the personality. visit if you can and see how they react. They may not be "tame" but you should get an interest at least and positive vibes. As @Olliebirb stated, if your schedule limits your time, then you may want to opt to the pair since they will have each other when you aren't there. Good luck.... it sounds like you will have a good bird either way....

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for the replies! I agree I probably would have chosen one of the older birds. I say would have because:

BIG UPDATE ON THE SEARCH:

I (very) strongly suspect I was nearly scammed by an individual in Cameroon either impersonating a breeder in Nevada, or working some sort of job with them. I got weird vibes and had way too many questions, not to mention I didn’t like the looks of their business practices from the photos I saw online. So I’ve decided to pass on the older bird that may or may not exist.

I’ve gotten a rough timeline and a price estimate from my second source. It’s a little bit longer than I had hoped to wait, and a little bit more expensive, but ultimately I’ll feel more comfortable supporting their business. Not to mention they have very clear health guarantees, and an excellent bird store to boot! Shopping spree!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Glad your vibes helped you to probably avoid a scam. It is hard to be patient but what an experience when they finally arrive. Please send pictures when your baby arrives. In the meantime you have lots of time to read, learn (and of course shop). A small piece of advice, get the best cage you can afford (and fit into your situation). You will not regret that as it can be a lifelong investment. My first bird went through three cages in 40 years, the new one has a premium cage that I am convinced will last his entire life and probably onto the next bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes please be careful. Pet scams are at an all time high right now!

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
A small piece of advice, get the best cage you can afford (and fit into your situation). You will not regret that as it can be a lifelong investment. My first bird went through three cages in 40 years, the new one has a premium cage that I am convinced will last his entire life and probably onto the next bird.
Already planning on a walk-in :)

I’ve had the opportunity to volunteer at two different bird rescues, and I’ve seen what a difference flight space can make! Even then, I’m not planning on keeping whatever bird ends up with me in a cage for most of the day- I’m a small-scale farmer and I work around my home. Hopefully they like greenhouses!

Last edited:

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
OK, brace yourselves for another major update...

I have several adoption sites drop-listed for new birds, and even though I had already put down a deposit on a baby, I didn't turn off the email alerts. And the number that came through day after day was... hard to think about. SO many birds are being rehomed, constantly, and here I am adding to the problem by buying a baby?

I also had a nagging thought in the corner of my mind... hormonal changes.

I'm well aware of the instinct that drives birds to leave the nest to prevent inbreeding. While I was excited for the baby love I was about to be blessed with, the more I thought about the possible (natural) personality changes that would eventually occur, the more my heart said to me "you know the right choice." I'm selfish. I want a companion for life. Three or four years of baby love followed by forty or fifty of adult indifference, or worse, dislike, would be a tough pill to swallow.

And then a listing for a CAG in my area dropped into my inbox.

That was the final straw. I contacted the shop who sourced my baby for me and asked for my deposit back. Although the employee is definitely not happy about it, he agreed to refund me. I'll actually save a good chunk of change- the baby was EXPENSIVE.

tl,dr: I'M ADOPTING A 22YO MALE AFRICAN GREY.

Wish me luck <3

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww congrats! I adore older birds so much. :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yay!!

My experience between older and younger birds is limited, but I think I already prefer older (or at least 5 years old+). I got my tiel at the end of his hand feeding, weaned him, and he's a butt head. Older birds have the personality established :roflmao:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! And thank you for helping an older bird in need of a home. I say, older but that really more middle aged. :)

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congratulations! And thank you for helping an older bird in need of a home. I say, older but that really more middle aged. :)
I’m hoping we’ll have as many years as possible together :)

I’ve worked at a few rescues and had already made up my mind to adopt… I needed time to reflect on those experiences

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!