• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me _ baby in need

Leave the bird?

• Leave it there

• Take it home

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I know Michael :(

Ugh I feel so crappy. I first saw the bird in the cats mouth and thought it was dead, as soon as it flapped I went over, fast but not enough to make the cat run. These stray cats are quite friendly, will eat nicely from your hand and are somewhat tame because people feed them, they aren´t starving - heck I was just round the other side of the rock feeding the others, and lots of dears visit with kibble and tuna etc. not to mention the tourists see the cats and go off to the shops to buy them food.

Just sad to see the little guy flapping trying to get away :(

I know, it is hard to see any animal suffer. Your like me, I can't stand back and let it happen. I have to help it.
I love in a state that has over 250,000 registered deer hunters. That's a he11 of an army of killers to animals. Of that number, about half are bird hunters, duck, quail, geese, pheasants, grouse,rabbit ,squirrels, coyote, moose, bear.
It's sickening, though I love shooting guns, I won't hunt or kill an animal.
Once we had a deer come into our garage. A doe. When I opened the door to go in garage I expected it to run off, it stood there. Walked slowly out and stood out side the garage. As I stood there it turned to walk back in garage.
Just feet from me. I called for my wife whom was inside watching. Said this is unusual.
Come to find out her fawn was trapped in fence
Belonging to nieghbor that joins our yard. My wife being a surgical assistance doing surgeries on animals spring into action, took her top off and wrapped it over fawns head to calm it and stop it from kicking and injuring itself. I unwrapped the barbed wire from leg.
Keeping head covered, we brought the deer up to garage, cleaned it wounds and applied dressing. Then released it. All the while, momma deer was in the distance, not far but watching.
Isn't just amazing that a wild animal can ask a human for help!!!! It's not unheard of.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, just sad. If the cats were starving then it is different, but they are not and it is clear they are not as they are all good looking, so even tourists can see the cats are well fed and cared for.

Michael, your wife is incredible! :) Glad you were able to help the dawn!

I went back to the park today. I went to the duck pond where this thread started. There was only one duckling. I looked everywhere in all the bushes for the second, but couldn´t find him :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gave him some brown bread crumbles, such a sweet duckling. I just hope his brother was hiding...

IMG_20190721_125323.jpg

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yea, just sad. If the cats were starving then it is different, but they are not and it is clear they are not as they are all good looking, so even tourists can see the cats are well fed and cared for.

Michael, your wife is incredible! :) Glad you were able to help the dawn!

I went back to the park today. I went to the duck pond where this thread started. There was only one duckling. I looked everywhere in all the bushes for the second, but couldn´t find him :(

Thing about cats, no matter how big, from lion to house kitty...Will sometimes kill for the sport of it. And not eat their kill. Many times they are full and will play and chase their prey for a while never killing it. But the prey dies from trauma or shock.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry...he didn't look good when you picked him but at least he was safe and could pass without predators.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I’m so sorry for everything that happened this weekend. Wow. You went above and beyond in both situations :heart:
You have such a kind heart, I just know the 3rd time will be a charm for you!

Thank you for all you do to help, the world needs more people like you. And wayyy less of the kind like the parents of those kids (and Michaels Tasmanian Devil) I don’t want to get started on that though, cuz I could go on and on and never stop!!:tmsmakesme:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
OMG How did I miss this post !

I am so heart broken for the little ones :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am so heart broken for the little ones :(
Yea, always sad to see a baby not make it :(

I think I will drive down to the park again this week and see if the one remaining duckling is ok.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yea, always sad to see a baby not make it :(

I think I will drive down to the park again this week and see if the one remaining duckling is ok.

Good idea. Try bringing him some peas and soaked oats. If you are feeling ambitious you can buy duckling food at a livestock shop.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I will do that for sure!!!
I would buy food but there´s not usually ducklings and he may not even be there when I go :( I just hope he´s safe... There is a female duck in that pond but I don´t know if it´s their mum. They don´t seem to be very close but who knows.
It´s my boyfriends birthday today, so I might go to the park on thursday :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good idea. Try bringing him some peas and soaked oats. If you are feeling ambitious you can buy duckling food at a livestock shop.
Yes much better than to give them bread.
To give them bread is infact the worse thing you can do to them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
To give them bread is infact the worse thing you can do to them.
I usually take a fine chop for evveryone but it was a last minute visit so I bought some wholemeal bread from a shop to take - I don´t like to go empty handed.

Is sweetcorn any good (in moderation for the other ducks and chickens too)?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
:crycry:I'm sorry the chick didn't make it. I have found baby birds quite a few times in my life. I can never save them and it's heart breaking. My roommate just found 3 baby Blue Jay's last week, I managed to get water in them but they didn't make it. They fell quite a distance from the nest, probably internal injury. I try not to dwell on it. Unless you know what you are doing and prepared to take care of baby wild birds, they don't usually make it.:sad5:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear about the blue jays :(
My dad found two baby birds in his garden last year. Their nest had fallen from the tree in the strong wind and broken, one chick was dead, my dad took the other in, I sent him some info to make some food and he cared for the bird all weekend. He dropped it off at the vet who agreed to care for it and then release it.
It always gives me hope :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I usually take a fine chop for evveryone but it was a last minute visit so I bought some wholemeal bread from a shop to take - I don´t like to go empty handed.

Is sweetcorn any good (in moderation for the other ducks and chickens too)?
Sweet corn is fine, but crushed grain is the best.
And wholemeal bread is not bad, what makes it bad is that they love bread and don't eat anything else and therefore don't get what they need to be healthy.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
Well now I'm sad :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And wholemeal bread is not bad, what makes it bad is that they love bread and don't eat anything else and therefore don't get what they need to be healthy.
This makes sense.
I was feeding a duck, and a little bratty girl came (just after I made this video) and threw crushed crisps on the floor in front of the duck. He looked at them but did not eat them. He ate the bread I offered and left. Pigeons came and ate the crisps.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Don't feed a duck dry grain without access to water. Submerge the grains into a bowl or toss them in the shallows of the pond.

Chickens are digestive superstars they can eat dry just fine.

:)

Let us know how it goes.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This makes sense.
I was feeding a duck, and a little bratty girl came (just after I made this video) and threw crushed crisps on the floor in front of the duck. He looked at them but did not eat them. He ate the bread I offered and left. Pigeons came and ate the crisps.
Awe!! He is so happy!