• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help !!!! Lucas has been on antibiotics tomorrow he ends it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When you say cultured meaning is not on the other organs ? Or hasn’t grown ?
Cultured means that it was taken into a lab, grown to learn the type of bacteria, and often tested with antibiotics to learn what is effective.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he gets better soon.

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
Cultured means that it was taken into a lab, grown to learn the type of bacteria, and often tested with antibiotics to learn what is effective.
Yes that’s exactly what he did and that’s when he found the mycoplasma organisms . Thank you for the info and I hope this time it works for Lucas

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I got Lucas his vaporizing but I am a little bit unsure , it says is with water only which is what I need and since birds can’t have any oils or anything like that I need your guys advise on this vaporizer I got it on cvs please help

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes that’s exactly what he did and that’s when he found the mycoplasma organisms . Thank you for the info and I hope this time it works for Lucas
I'm sorry Lucas is having recurrent problems and hope they can be resolved. I do think you need to have a conversation with the vet to have him explain Mycoplasma to you and give you some reading information to help you further understand how it may affect Lucas going forward with treatments. As long as I can remember Lucas has had sneezing issues including other respiratory issues for quite a while. This could be something he had when you bought him but didn't present itself right away. You're doing everything you can for him by taking him to the vet to keep him healthy. Did the vet suggest you use vaporizer? If not, then I would ask him if it would be beneficial before using it.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I'm sorry Lucas is having recurrent problems and hope they can be resolved. I do think you need to have a conversation with the vet to have him explain Mycoplasma to you and give you some reading information to help you further understand how it may affect Lucas going forward with treatments. As long as I can remember Lucas has had sneezing issues including other respiratory issues for quite a while. This could be something he had when you bought him but didn't present itself right away. You're doing everything you can for him by taking him to the vet to keep him healthy. Did the vet suggest you use vaporizer? If not, then I would ask him if it would be beneficial before using it.
I know he has been , this is the first time he found mycoplasma organisms in him. He said he has a sinus infection and this is his second round of antibiotics. I sadly wouldn’t know because I rescued Lucas outside my house so I don’t know his history . I am so sad to see him this sick this is his third day with Bytril and sometimes he is good others he just keep sneezing and yes he told me to buy a vaporizer for him but I didn’t have the opportunity to find one for him but I finally did and I will put it on tomorrow since I am at work right now . The vet knows his problems with respiratory issues and I don’t even know how he got a sinus infection . I feel so helpless at this point. The vet told me to see after 10 days if not I have to take him back and he also did the nasal spray last visit

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I just don’t want Lucas to suffer if this doesn’t cured him I am so sad to say this but if I have to put him to sleep then I will cause is just too sad and I can’t handle this pain and is been expensive treatments so far

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your vet may need to change the antibiotic if the Baytril is not working well. Also since it seems he has been on antibiotics for some time it may be a good idea for the vet to start him on an antifungal. Antibiotics can kill off beneficial bacteria that helps protect the body against opportunistic fungi. Ask the vet about that. In addition check with the vet regarding vetri-DMG. This product helps support the immune system and bodily functions. Vetri DMG Liquid for Dogs and Cats

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Your vet may need to change the antibiotic if the Baytril is not working well. Also since it seems he has been on antibiotics for some time it may be a good idea for the vet to start him on an antifungal. Antibiotics can kill off beneficial bacteria that helps protect the body against opportunistic fungi. Ask the vet about that. In addition check with the vet regarding vetri-DMG. This product helps support the immune system and bodily functions. Vetri DMG Liquid for Dogs and Cats
Hi thanks for the information , this is the second round of antibiotics the first one didn’t work. And yes he is been giving a probiotic he is taking beneback something like that but yes thanks

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
image.jpg
this one have avian formula, it’s vetri DMG. Also @Lucas2019 give him avian probiotics. image.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How’s Lucas doing?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
How old is Lucas and are you sure he is male? Baylee when she was 2 years old she had respiratory issues on and off and turns out she had a dystocia episode that lasted almost a month this is how I discovered she is a she. X ray showed a broken egg inside and antibiotics weren’t working because for them to work you have to remove the primary problem which in Baylee’s case was the egg. Vet saved her life by giving her 1 drop of oxytocin for 48 hours she dropped a stuff that was green with yellow and white and tiny egg shells pieces. After that vet prescribed antibiotics for 1 week for the secondary respiratory infection. Vet explained that time that birds don’t have a diaphragm that separates the lower part of their body from upper part so for example an infection in an egg can travel easily to the lungs/heart in birds so please talk to your vet and get Lucas an X-ray. In case he is a she.
Baylee had to be nebulized she didn’t improve only by antibiotics I almost lost her the vet told me that she thinks if I hadn’t got there that day I was super close to lose her.
Baylee had spent 3 weeks on antibiotics sent by other vet he didn’t do X-ray. (Of course that wouldn’t have happened if he had done it but at the time he said it wasn’t needed)
Just said she had a minor respiratory infection by how she was breathing. Please don’t lose hope if needed change vet. Ask for a X-ray.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Please do not lose hope. I have friends who had to battle respiratory ailments for years. Sometimes it is a battle.
For sure is a battle I am trying not to my mom keeps giving strength she have faith he will be fine