• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help !!!! Lucas has been on antibiotics tomorrow he ends it

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
How old is Lucas and are you sure he is male? Baylee when she was 2 years old she had respiratory issues on and off and turns out she had a dystocia episode that lasted almost a month this is how I discovered she is a she. X ray showed a broken egg inside and antibiotics weren’t working because for them to work you have to remove the primary problem which in Baylee’s case was the egg. Vet saved her life by giving her 1 drop of oxytocin for 48 hours she dropped a stuff that was green with yellow and white and tiny egg shells pieces. After that vet prescribed antibiotics for 1 week for the secondary respiratory infection. Vet explained that time that birds don’t have a diaphragm that separates the lower part of their body from upper part so for example an infection in an egg can travel easily to the lungs/heart in birds so please talk to your vet and get Lucas an X-ray. In case he is a she.
Baylee had to be nebulized she didn’t improve only by antibiotics I almost lost her the vet told me that she thinks if I hadn’t got there that day I was super close to lose her.
Baylee had spent 3 weeks on antibiotics sent by other vet he didn’t do X-ray. (Of course that wouldn’t have happened if he had done it but at the time he said it wasn’t needed)
Just said she had a minor respiratory infection by how she was breathing. Please don’t lose hope if needed change vet. Ask for a X-ray.
Hi no I am not sure he is a male I rescued him so I don’t know anything about his past . I will ask for x rays next time after the 10 days antibiotics he is one . Thanks for the information

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Is he doing better? And by the way Baylee I rescued her too! But she was around 12 weeks old or so.

Last edited:

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Is he doing better? And by the way Baylee I rescued her too! But she was around 12 weeks old or so.
alright he just keep sneezing and sometimes gasping for air . Awww ☺ yeah Lucas was tiny but he has history with respiratory infections . How long you think the egg was inside Bailey ? Cause Lucas we never touch him other than his head or feet and we always check him we never let him do nest or anything like that . But I will ask the doctor next time he is on his 6 day they told me to do the full 10 days

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
alright he just keep sneezing and sometimes gasping for air . Awww ☺ yeah Lucas was tiny but he has history with respiratory infections . How long you think the egg was inside Bailey ? Cause Lucas we never touch him other than his head or feet and we always check him we never let him do nest or anything like that . But I will ask the doctor next time he is on his 6 day they told me to do the full 10 days
No idea how long it was on her. I never touched Baylee in any part except head and feet. She have a 12 hours sleep schedule. But according to the vet at least in Baylee’s case was protein in diet was too high and calcium too low dystocia episodes can happen so I always provide calcium lowered protein a little bit and it’s been so far almost 9 years since that happened. Also vet told me to let her take sun baths of 10 minutes per day in the morning and I do so this helps fixing the calcium. And produce vitamin d.

Last edited:

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
No idea how long it was on her. I never touched Baylee in any part except head and feet. She have a 12 hours sleep schedule. But according to the vet at least in Baylee’s case was protein in diet was too high and calcium too low dystocia episodes can happen so I always provide calcium lowered protein a little bit and it’s been so far almost 9 years since that happened. Also vet told me to let her take sun baths of 10 minutes per day in the morning and I do so this helps fixing the calcium. And produce vitamin d.
Oh I see I will as the vet about that next time I see him . I just feel so sad when he does the sneezing and it doesn’t stop . I don’t take Lucas to take sun bath too often maybe I need to start doing that more thank you so much for the information

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Oh I see I will as the vet about that next time I see him . I just feel so sad when he does the sneezing and it doesn’t stop . I don’t take Lucas to take sun bath too often maybe I need to start doing that more thank you so much for the information
No problem! :):)

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Hey how is he doing?
Hello he had improvement but after fours days I called his vet and he extend his medication for 10 more days and to give him update on day 5 or 6 and I have seen more improvements so I am hopeful he doesn’t need to see the vet again . If still does it he said to take him back for an injection.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Hello he had improvement but after fours days I called his vet and he extend his medication for 10 more days and to give him update on day 5 or 6 and I have seen more improvements so I am hopeful he doesn’t need to see the vet again . If still does it he said to take him back for an injection.
What type of injection?