• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Lovebirds won't go in there cage!

Luvbirds

Meeting neighbors
So I have 2 Lovebird at home (its been about 5 months now, I think) anyways, they're getting a bad habit of not wanting to go in there cage. They are still afraid of my hands but strangely accept food tho. It's to a point they rather starve then go in there cage and eat. Any Bird training suggestions??

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is their cage round or is that just a perch? I’ve heard birds feel insecure in round cages (no corners).

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yes, square is better.

How large is their current cage? Round cages tend to be very small. They are designed to look pretty to people, but they are not that great for the birds.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Square or rectangular would be best. My budgie duos each have a flight cage. They’re rectangular.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Round cages are always far too small and can be disorientating for a bird - they go round and round the bars and can't work out where they began. Cages will corners make them feel more settled.

Two birds will need more space than a single bird. They might find the cage too cramped; birds do like some personal space and not having that would make the cage very offputting.

A 32x21" flight cage privides much more space. You can offer a variety of perches, foraging and enrichment opportunities, and it provides more room if they want to do different things.