• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help! leaving Conure for extended time

chondlr

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Hey all
I have a crimson belly Conure who I’ve had since he was 3 months old, and he’s been with me for about a year and a half. In this time the most I’ve ever been away from him has been the occasional overnight stay during which my parents looked after him (they also have a bird so they put his cage next to theirs).

He’s very bonded to me and doesn’t particularly like and gets really spooked by anyone else in my family although he’ll tolerate my mother.

The problem comes that I may be going into hospital for anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 months, there will be a few periods I’ll be able to go back home every now and then overnight (hopefully at least twice a month) but I don’t know what to do! I have family and friends who know how to look after him and have experience with conures and their own birds in general but he isn’t very comfortable with strangers.

I’m worried that it’ll hurt our bond and he might see me as a stranger when I get back or be upset with me. I’m really at a lost I cannot fathom being away from him for so long. Any advice on how he may react or ways to make this easier ? I’m really desperate I don’t know what to do

:cbc:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You both will be okay. I say this from experience when my mom got sick and I had to go to Phoenix for a month. There may be a point where you have to work through him being upset with you for being gone but you will work through it.

Can you change what will happen?

If not, try to de-stress and enjoy your time with your baby before you go.

Please be well first and foremost. I believe they feed on our emotions. Just know that he will be cared for...many people feel similarly when they go on vacation as well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry you have to be go to the hospital. I hope everything will be okay and that you'll be home soon. I think the first thing you have to do is decide who he is going to stay with. And then try to have that person start interacting with him or at least spending time with him while you're still home. And teach that person his routine- food, bedtime, his favorite toys, etc. It will be an adjustment for him, but he will be okay. And he'll be happy to see you when you get back, although he might give you the cold shoulder for a couple days just to let you know he wasn't pleased. LOL. When my fiance had surgery, he didn't want my cockatoo in the house while he was recovering. He felt with therapist, etc coming in the house, the screaming would be too much for him. A member here (cassiesdad) watch him for me for about 6 weeks. My cockatoo was fine. I definitely took it worse than he did. And he was thrilled to come home when it was time.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You could also have who ever is going to take care of him use Face Time or another similar service every once in a while. That way he can hear and see you periodically while you are away.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You could also have who ever is going to take care of him use Face Time or another similar service every once in a while. That way he can hear and see you periodically while you are away.
I forgot all about that...hubs set up a webcam for me so I could check on them whenever I needed to see them.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think getting the person who will be responsible for his care involved now is a great idea. You can have a transition or handover period so the change isn't so abrupt.

He may sulk or be stroppy when you return, but that's something you can work through. Lots of treats, go at his pace and interact on his terms. He may be grumpy at first but will soon warm back up to you.