• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP. Keeping my cats away from my canary??

Natalia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalia
Okay. I've had my canary for less than an hour (his name is Neo).

So I was just getting everything ready for his cage, while he was in it, I just changed his food bowls and added a water dispenser. I had a spray bottle just in case one of my two cats decided to try and do something to him... but oh god I was not ready for what happened.

My cat walked into the room and as soon as she saw Neo she went into full wild mode and jumped over to the cage! I could barely get a hold of her, and when I did I sprayed the life out of her and she ran away.
I closed my door and she just stays outside waiting.

I had Neo on the counter because in a few days I will be hanging his cage in my room... but right now he's locked in my bathroom. He will not get out unless my room is also closed and there's no way my cats can get in. Only while I hang his cage from the wall.

But I am so scared. I got so worried.

Should I just keep spraying my cat when she tries to jump to Neo's cage? I go to college so from 7 am to 2:30 pm I can't be there with him. I'm so scared :(

Also, I decided that I will be putting his cage quite high, just so that even if my cats jump they can't reach him. Is that a good idea? I have some furniture near the place I will be placing the cage, but far enough so that they can't directly jump to it. I really want this to work.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Put the bird in a cage, close the cage door then put the bird and the cage in a room and close the door and lock it. Put the cat outside the room.

Natalia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalia
Thank you so much! I will not spray them anymore, and I will keep them outside my room... also I'll keep the door closed when I'm not home. I guess I got really scared in that moment.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you so much! I will not spray them anymore, and I will keep them outside my room... also I'll keep the door closed when I'm not home. I guess I got really scared in that moment.
Keep the door closed when you are at home as well. No cats allowed in the room.