• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! It looks like my bird Gee has razored off some of his wing feathers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
My little budgie named Gee seems like he has razored of some of his wing feathers. Why is he doing this? What can I do to stop it? Please help. It makes me very said that my little birdie is hurting himself. He didn't start doing it until I had to pluck a bloodfeather from him. Maybe he thinks that I don't like him anymore. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. :sad6:

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm sorry that your budgie seems to be hurting himself! :(

Do you have any pictures of his wing? I'm not really sure what he could be doing. A picture might help.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
yes a picture would help

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Do you mean he plucked them out? I agree, a pic would be very helpful if you have one. Any time you hold a bird that is not used to being held will stress them out a bit but then it takes a bit of time but they trust you again. But you had no choice.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Thanks everyone... I will definitely post a photo in the morning when they wake up so that you can see...It almost looks like he bit some of them off halfway....but I'll post o photo in the morning...Thanks

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I changed my mind I'm gonna post one now I'll post it in a second...:)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
if it is what i'm thinking of its called Barbering , but not sure why a budgie would do it, usually they don't have feather issues

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks! I think a picture will help a lot. :)

Are you sure Gee is doing it to himself? Could another budgie be doing it to him?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
It looks to me like he may have just lost a flight feather, possibly from a fright. My budgies get into little tizzys quite often, and sometimes feathers are lost in them.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Thanks! I think a picture will help a lot. :)

Are you sure Gee is doing it to himself? Could another budgie be doing it to him?
It is possible that Popeye could have done it to him, but they seem to love each other lol

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Wow, I just saw your photo. Do you mean that his flight feathers are being bitten off? Or is his wings clipped and I'm missing the actual problem?

If he is biting his flight feathers in half then I'm not sure what it could be. Like Atvchick said, budgies don't generally suffer from plucking or feather chewing problems.

It might be that some of the feathers are hurting or bothering him and he is trying to get rid of them.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
It looks to me like he may have just lost a flight feather, possibly from a fright. My budgies get into little tizzys quite often, and sometimes feathers are lost in them.
lol okay thats a relief because I have never seen him feather pluck or anything...and I've never seen Popeye plucking at him...It was just odd looking

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Wow, I just saw your photo. Do you mean that his flight feathers are being bitten off? Or is his wings clipped and I'm missing the actual problem?

If he is biting his flight feathers in half then I'm not sure what it could be. Like Atvchick said, budgies don't generally suffer from plucking or feather chewing problems.

It might be that some of the feathers are hurting or bothering him and he is trying to get rid of them.
His flight feather or feathers right there seem to be missing...I have no idea what happened .....It's strange

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
His flight feather or feathers right there seem to be missing...I have no idea what happened .....It's strange
I think he just lost one or two in a very conspicuous spot. It could be that more than the one blood feather was hurt and he took care of them himself. I wouldn't worry much if he's his normal budgie self :)

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

I think he just lost one or two in a very conspicuous spot. It could be that more than the one blood feather was hurt and he took care of them himself. I wouldn't worry much if he's his normal budgie self :)
lol thanks...he seems to be happy...he was chirping today and playing on his swing and stuff

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Budgies arent known to do this. This is a cause for concern.

How big is the cage?

Do you have any chewable soft wood toys inside the cage and other interactive fun toys?

A cage smaller than 30"long and 18" wide and tall is TOO small for a budgie, so any wing flapping against the cage bars or movement in a smaller cage can and often will cause broken feathers.

If you lack in chewable toys his friend or he himself are bored and will take it out on their feathers :(

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It could just be that there was some pain/irritation in that area and he chewed/pulled a feather or two to relieve the discomfort. I would keep an eye out for any more damage, but I can't say that I'd be panicking about it or anything. :) If the feathers grow back in normally you're probably in the clear.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I just saw the pic...thats a lot of missing feathers:(

Status
Not open for further replies.