• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!! Is she feeding it?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hi, my budgie’s first egg of her clutch hatched yesterday evening, and I am unsure if she has been feeding it. Its crop appears empty but the bird’s belly looks very round, although that could be from absorbing what was left of the egg. I have only checked on it a few times but I have yet to see it with a full crop. Should I be worried? Mom seems to spend a lot of time in there, but the baby is peeping a lot even while she’s in there. I just want to know if I should worry about the baby’s survival, because if she’s not feeding it I at least want to give hand feeding a shot and see if it will eat.

tl;dr: Should I be worried if I haven’t seen the baby with a full crop within a day of hatching, even if I have only checked on it a few times?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I dont think they feed the first 24 hours, due to yolk absorption, its been years since I've babies, but, I do remember the parents feeding after a day or so..Bump Bump Bump!

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Bump! Please some more insight from experienced breeders?

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
The baby pooped while I was weighing it, so I think maybe it was fed, but the crop still appears mostly empty. I am keeping a close watch for any changes or weight loss.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
It’s been a week since it hatched, and she is for sure taking care of and feeding him. He’s getting very big! No need to worry at the moment. :)