• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help in gaining cockatoo weight!

debraricci

Moving in
Real Name
Debra Ricci
Hi. My 21 yo male cockatoo..Geno is healthy. Yes..we went to a vet when I got him. Ive had him 6 months and he's a bit thin. We spoke of the stress of my being his new mom and I gave a macaw too. Im substituting cockatoo baby food mixed with safe peanut butter, ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, chai, sunflower, pecans...) build egg yolk, a green slurry (spinach, kale, sugar snaps, green beans, peas...), yams and oatmeal. I feed once a day supplement. He also has all the time a bowel of kibble and a bowel of mixed nuts n fresh water. Should I feed him the oatmeal blend twice a day? Any other ideas to fatten him up? He loves people food but I don't feed him that. I suspect he was in his previous home. Any ideas? PS...are they always bipolar...lol? Its like he comes to me but acts like he's walking his last walk and being drama boy...lol.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would use almond butter instead of pnut butter and cut the egg yolks out completely. both are far to high in saturated fats. You could cook egg whites and give them to him. They are almost pure protein and it's much better to get weight gain with protein rather than fats.