• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hani Rafie

Moving in
Real Name
Hani Rafie
So I bought this baby around 2 weeks ago it was 3 weeks old it likes me a lot but is it normal for it to ask for more formula as it ages? and is it normal for it to just start climbing out of the box and roam around or might it need something from that I don't understand? and now at this age do I have to keep it under a heated lamp or is it ok to let it roam around the house (my house is always cold)? I included some photos

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Hani,

is it normal for it to ask for more formula as it ages?
If you bought the bird 2 weeks ago and it was 3 weeks old, then now this bird is 5 weeks old. Average weaning age is 6-8 weeks for a lovebird, so keep feeding the formula, but right after you do that, offer some adult foods, chopped veggies, pellets etc to start the weaning process. It is a gradual thing that willl take time, don´t rush your bird, let them wean in their own time.

is it normal for it to just start climbing out of the box and roam around
now at this age do I have to keep it under a heated lamp or is it ok to let it roam around the house (my house is always cold)?
At this age yes, they want to explore. It is ok for them to come out and look around, play etc but do your best to keep your bird warm in the room, maybe an oil radiator or something.
Supervise any time your bird is out in the room, they will just walk off the edge of tables, beds, shelves etc and until they are able to break falls, you need to be there to catch them.
Offer some toys for your bird to play with, it is important they learn how to be independant and entertain themselves when you are not around, this includes being able to play alone.

Hani Rafie

Moving in
Real Name
Hani Rafie
Hello Hani,

If you bought the bird 2 weeks ago and it was 3 weeks old, then now this bird is 5 weeks old. Average weaning age is 6-8 weeks for a lovebird, so keep feeding the formula, but right after you do that, offer some adult foods, chopped veggies, pellets etc to start the weaning process. It is a gradual thing that willl take time, don´t rush your bird, let them wean in their own time.

At this age yes, they want to explore. It is ok for them to come out and look around, play etc but do your best to keep your bird warm in the room, maybe an oil radiator or something.
Supervise any time your bird is out in the room, they will just walk off the edge of tables, beds, shelves etc and until they are able to break falls, you need to be there to catch them.
Offer some toys for your bird to play with, it is important they learn how to be independant and entertain themselves when you are not around, this includes being able to play alone.
Thank you for the advice yes it keeps going outside the box and jumping of the tables and shelves etc... also whenever it is near me it climbs up my hand and stands on my shoulder and climbs up onto my head and then jumps off and I am always alert on catching it the only thing I am scared off if it jumps from a place and couldn't break it's fall and die

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
climbs up my hand and stands on my shoulder and climbs up onto my head and then jumps off
When my birds were that age, they loved climbing up and snuggling in the nook of my neck, or behind my ear under my hair. Maybe they´re looking for a good place to snuggle? You could try guiding the chick there and see if they like it.
As for jumping off your head, simply stop allowing to climb higher than your shoulder. It´s easier to catch the bird when you can see them clearly. This will lessen the chance of serious injury.
You can also set up a play station. A space where there are toys to play with, treats (millet for eg) to eat. On a desk, or maybe a small stand. Show your bird the area and the toys and activities there to encourage playing in this area.

Hani Rafie

Moving in
Real Name
Hani Rafie
When my birds were that age, they loved climbing up and snuggling in the nook of my neck, or behind my ear under my hair. Maybe they´re looking for a good place to snuggle? You could try guiding the chick there and see if they like it.
As for jumping off your head, simply stop allowing to climb higher than your shoulder. It´s easier to catch the bird when you can see them clearly. This will lessen the chance of serious injury.
You can also set up a play station. A space where there are toys to play with, treats (millet for eg) to eat. On a desk, or maybe a small stand. Show your bird the area and the toys and activities there to encourage playing in this area.
Thank you so much for the advice

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the baby is getting out of the box, you may need either a box with taller sides or need to place the box in a cage.

It's generally not safe for a small bird to roam unsupervised in a room that hasn't been adapted for their needs. There are far too many hazards that could seriously injure or even kill them (like electrical cords), and too many things that they could damage (like books or tech). A small bird like a lovebird can easily be stepped or sat on.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :pinklol3:
You're taking such good care of the little one! :smuggrin: