• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help! I'm worried about the small hole slightly above my lovebird's beak :(

luvsnbo

Moving in
Hi, I'm a first time owner of a lovebird; his name is Kumquat & I got him around 2 months ago (untamed, from a pet store).

Currently, I'm still new to learning caring for a lovebird -- anyways getting straight to my point, around last week, I noticed a small hole (around the size of a needle) slightly above his beak.

Some pictures:
20210408_191208.jpg

20210408_191210.jpg
* I observed his behavior & he doesn't seem to be in any form of discomfort nor pain.

However, I'm still concerned as
- I'm not sure how he got that injury(?) from, as he lives alone in the cage so it couldn't be from a fight.
- When handling him & letting him out of the cage for "play-time", I'm careful & do keep an eye on him just in case.
- I tried searching through other online forums for a solution/an answer to no avail.

Hoping someone here would have an answer/a solution to my concern, thanks!

P.S: Should I bring him to an avian vet, just in case?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those are his nares - perfectly normal :)

He will have a second to the other side. They are more visible after a bath if you wish to see them ;)

Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are more visible after baths, after sneezing, and as chicks. It´s good to ask about stuff you´re not sure on. We were all new to birds at one point :)
Charlie.jpg Nares.jpg

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
What a cutie you have there!
Welcome to the Avenue!!
Aren't those wholes the cutest though?!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome to the Avenue! Kumquat looks like an absolute angel.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome! I love Kumquat's coloring. He's adorable!

idontexist

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anonymous
Hi, I'm a first time owner of a lovebird; his name is Kumquat & I got him around 2 months ago (untamed, from a pet store).

Currently, I'm still new to learning caring for a lovebird -- anyways getting straight to my point, around last week, I noticed a small hole (around the size of a needle) slightly above his beak.

Some pictures:
View attachment 378621

View attachment 378622
* I observed his behavior & he doesn't seem to be in any form of discomfort nor pain.

However, I'm still concerned as
- I'm not sure how he got that injury(?) from, as he lives alone in the cage so it couldn't be from a fight.
- When handling him & letting him out of the cage for "play-time", I'm careful & do keep an eye on him just in case.
- I tried searching through other online forums for a solution/an answer to no avail.

Hoping someone here would have an answer/a solution to my concern, thanks!

P.S: Should I bring him to an avian vet, just in case?
You should buy from a bird breeder like i did rather than a pet store. They may have abusive past......

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You should buy from a bird breeder like i did rather than a pet store. They may have abusive past......
Why?
Some birds at smaller pet shops are treated correctly.
OP is free to bring home a bird from wherever they wish to.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Why?
I would like to add that there are also issued with many breeders who don't do things correctly too, so there is always a reason to research the best places to buy from. I'm so!e cases, small local pet shops are probably the best bet compared to unregistered, unexpected backyard breeders (not saying all are bad, many are very good and take great care of their birds)

Also, welcome to the forum, @luvsnbo your lovebird is beautiful

luvsnbo

Moving in
Why?
It is one of those smaller pet stores & my dad himself is a regular at that place (therefore I do think they're trustworthy), however I'll take note of their advice nonetheless.

luvsnbo

Moving in
I would like to add that there are also issued with many breeders who don't do things correctly too, so there is always a reason to research the best places to buy from. I'm so!e cases, small local pet shops are probably the best bet compared to unregistered, unexpected backyard breeders (not saying all are bad, many are very good and take great care of their birds)

Also, welcome to the forum, @luvsnbo your lovebird is beautiful
Thank you! :excited2:

luvsnbo

Moving in
S/N (as I can't figure out how to edit/update my post): Genuinely appreciate the community here for being so supportive & wholesome :pinklol3:

Also not really an update but Kumquat is doing really well right now! :heart: Although I'm still working on building trust, bonding & taming him :ashamed2: