• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Identifying what kind of Dove / Pigeon this is + Need advice

oddsockzx

Moving in
Real Name
Ronnie
Hello ,
I was wondering if anyone can help me identify what type of Pigeon or Dove Smokey is.
He is a rescued Feral and I think hes about a month old. I found him in the middle of a road on my way home from collage.

FVhrLuEXEAIBooJ.jpg
I was also wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a Pigeon/ Dove used to you so it will let you hold and pet it/cuddle with you? He likes company and wants to be around me and will sit ontop of doors / window ledges but is jumpy and nervous when you approach him. He will very rarely let you pet him but is happy to eat out of my hand from time to time.​

Attachments

Last edited:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I’m too new to pigeon care to give advice but here is the link to the resource (Palomacy: pigeon and dove rescue organizationI use:

My healthy pigeon is friendly (flies to follow me in the house) but independent and not ready to be held. If yours is an indoor
Pigeon then I highly recommend pigeon pants (like a diaper but made for pigeons).
Good luck. They’re amazing birds.

oddsockzx

Moving in
Real Name
Ronnie
I’m too new to pigeon care to give advice but here is the link to the resource (Palomacy: pigeon and dove rescue organizationI use:

My healthy pigeon is friendly (flies to follow me in the house) but independent and not ready to be held. If yours is an indoor
Pigeon then I highly recommend pigeon pants (like a diaper but made for pigeons).
Good luck. They’re amazing birds.
Thank you so much!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Might be a young white-wing? Not sure. Definitely a dove though. Very cute; what's his/her name? You're gonna want to be careful not to force interaction on the baby and let everything be on its terms. Many birds don't actually enjoy being petted and if you do it too much it could form a mate bond which you don't want; trust me you don't want a bird fully dependent on you and your presence for their peace and happiness. Wanna tell us a little more about its living situation, diet, etc?

oddsockzx

Moving in
Real Name
Ronnie
Might be a young white-wing? Not sure. Definitely a dove though. Very cute; what's his/her name? You're gonna want to be careful not to force interaction on the baby and let everything be on its terms. Many birds don't actually enjoy being petted and if you do it too much it could form a mate bond which you don't want; trust me you don't want a bird fully dependent on you and your presence for their peace and happiness. Wanna tell us a little more about its living situation, diet, etc?
Thank you! I was thinking He/She may be! I named them Smokey!

I got some advice from another Pigeon / Dove owner and got a large dog crate for them to live in as well as a dog bowl for food. I currently feed them seed , egg shells (for grit until I can get a hold of some) and some greenery such as dandelions and peas.

I try my best to not touch them , I only touch them when it comes to putting them to bed and bringing them into the other room as they like to sit on the window sill. They are pretty independent and will get food and water on there own and will also fly around to go where ever they want to.