• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP....I need a humane rat trap!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

My son did not lock the darn cage his rats live in. So the one escaped...anyone have any ideas for a humane rat trap?
Issue is also....
I have 3 cats, that are NOT good mousers, and a Chow who IS a good mouser. I have the room sealed off, but how do I catch or find the darn thing?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh boy, Crystal! That rat could be anywhere. I hope it has not entered a wall. They sell humane traps at Home Depot. Peanut butter is the best treat and pressing some seed into it is even better. Some people have success with setting up a bucket with a ramp to the top. Placing treats inside and some along the ramp. If the rat is not an excellent jumper they usually get trapped inside.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Oh boy, Crystal! That rat could be anywhere. I hope it has not entered a wall. They sell humane traps at Home Depot. Peanut butter is the best treat and pressing some seed into it is even better. Some people have success with setting up a bucket with a ramp to the top. Placing treats inside and some along the ramp. If the rat is not an excellent jumper they usually get trapped inside.

OK awesome....
This is horrible. I don't even LIKE rodents! My son has had them for a while. They BOTH escaped..not just the 1. We have 2 females. I am ready to FREAK OUT!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
from what I understand from the exterminators (sorry) at DH's work, peanut butter (especially toasted, brings out the aroma) is candy to rats, also link sausage is a tasty treat

sorry that he got out, both my boys had a rat as a pet, they are cool little buggers!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've used skunk traps to catch all kinds of critters around the house. Our town rents them out for free because we have a big feral cat problem.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I thought about that John, but wondered if a rat would be heavy enough to trip the door

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They are so intelligent with it and always seem to be two jumps ahead of you!
If they get hungry enough they will always come for food so can you lay a trap in a trap that the door closes after they have tripped the wire on entry? Good luck.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
I have no ideas for you but wanted to wish you luck. Now I know I am not feeling well. At first I thought your tread said "Human rat trap" :lol:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
oh I hope you catch them...I had rats growing up..I just love them. I hope you find them before there is an accident. The peanut butter sounds like a good idea. What about a ramp leading up to a tall bucket? And inside the bucket is a bowl of water and the peanut butter treat. The rats would try to get the food and fall in and then not be able to climb out....maybe a drywall plaster/spackling bucket?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

oh I hope you catch them...I had rats growing up..I just love them. I hope you find them before there is an accident. The peanut butter sounds like a good idea. What about a ramp leading up to a tall bucket? And inside the bucket is a bowl of water and the peanut butter treat. The rats would try to get the food and fall in and then not be able to climb out....maybe a drywall plaster/spackling bucket?

OOOO good idea! I will put that up tonight. They usually sleep during the day. My son changed the water last night and gave them some treats. He must not have locked the cage and I went in this morning....oops..gone. GEEZ! Thanks again.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
They are gpoing to get thirsty. keep the toilet seats down so that they don't get in and drown.

Mice/rats also like pineapple juice to drink. So the juice and peanut butter may lure them out. I would put some out, and see if they do eat. Once they are familaiar with where the food is them set up something to trap them. Possibly they may go back in their cage if it was near where they were finding the PB and juice?

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
If you call the humane society they often have traps they will loan or rent you.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn

This is what worked many, many, many years ago when I had a hamster get out. She was missing for months until one day we found her in a bucket we had dumped hamster food in. We mentioned it to a neighbor that lost a hamster in their car. They set up the bucket with food and caught their hamster. It's worth a shot!

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Is it wrong...Im still laughing at you about this???? :rofl:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I had mice and had 1 get out that went behind some furniture I couldn't move. The best thing that worked for me was a paper towel tube with a sock duct taped to 1 end. I then put peanut butter only in the furthest end from me (right in front of the sock) then a LOT of patience. once she walked in, I tipped up the end and into the sock she went :)
You'd just need a bigger tube for a rat...

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Let us know if you get lucky and manage to catch it OK won't you? The suspence is killing me! Then you can leave me out of the cupboard when it's safe!:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.