• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help! I just stepped on one of my tiels! (update #6)

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
She was on me a couple minutes before. I was talking to someone else in the room, and she flew away. I assumed she went on the cage, but I took a step backwards and stepped on her. It wasn't a full step, but there was definitely pressure on her. It was across one of her wings and her back. She squaked and flew off. At first she flew weird like she hurt her wing, but she corrected really fast and she flies normal now. She wont take millet and is acting scared of us, which we can't blame her for.
I don't have any avian vets within 3 hours of me, and I don't have the money for the gas right now. What do I do? This happened maybe 20 minutes ago, should I wait it out and see if she starts acting fine? Tomorrow is Halloween so I don't even know if anything will be open. I'm scared, and she also has a clutch of eggs that should hatch any day (her mate is sitting on them)
I really don't want to lose her

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think most vets are open on Halloween, but it sounds like you got lucky and she might be okay. Monitor her for any signs of pain or difficulty of movement if she’s acting off a little bit, you’ll have to take her to the vet.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that sounds like hopefully it was more of a shock then actual damage done. I'd watch for lethargy or blood in her stool in case any type of internal damage was done.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very glad she´s ok!