• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP. I have a Macaw who is blasting through toys like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherina

Hit the Road
Hello everyone. I could really use some help with homemade toys for my Macaw cash. Man he is blaring though his toys i buy him lickity split. I have tried coffee filter toys and he has no interest. I have some forgaging toys on order and i'm waiting on them. His cage looks empty once again. He is just going through toys like i have never seen and i need some ideas on things to keep a Macaw busy and easy to make stuff that is cheap since he is going through things quick.
Thanks

If you have pictrues i would love to see them

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
I am making some toys for my mini mac but its turning out to be more time consuming to make them than have him butcher them. I found some extra firewood leftovers at a peddlers mall here and have been cutting and dying it at home. When it's all said and done I'll have about $100 worth of toys that I spent a total of $15 to make.

Heatherina

Hit the Road
I cut a bunch of wood up but i didnt dye them and he won't touch them so it looks like my spoiled baby needs dyed blocks of wood but i have no clue how to even do it. Anyone have ideas?

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
An inexpensive and easy toy for a Macaw is a Stainless Steel Skewer strung with a variety of wood pieces. Easy to make and easy to refill. My Blue Throats empty one of these every other day.

TypingParrot

I use food coloring and some bowls that dont get used for food. Boil some water, add the dye and let it soak. If the dogs hadnt chewed the cable to upload pictures to my computer I would show you how mine came out. I'll see if i can work around that.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Large macaws do chew wood up like crazy. What some of the folks on here do is get remnant wood from some of the home supply places, saw it up themselves...

If you want some pre-made toys that won't break the bank, check out the Econo line toys at the bottom of the page here (scroll to bottom section in red for the cheap toys). Very inexpensive, no frills toys for your mac:
Jumbo BIRD TOYS and PARROT TOY by BirdToysandParrotToys.com

If you would like to order some reasonable toy parts, you might check here:
PURPLE FEATHER BIRD TOYS items - Get great deals on Ribbonwood Perches, Medium Bird Toys items on eBay Stores!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would buy one of the Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys SS corkscrew. The refill wood sets are only $15. It lasts him longer than any other toy he has (that is wood).

Matt

Heatherina

Hit the Road
Can you give me the website for that motherplucking thing plz
Thank you

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I cannot deal with the mess of dying my own wood, so I buy the peices and make my own. They aren't as sophisticated as the ones you buy, but they certainly destroy just as well. I have peices of heavier wire I unbend the end of and slide the toy peices onto and then rebend it around so they can't fall off. Really quick and easy and works great.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I cannot deal with the mess of dying my own wood, so I buy the peices and make my own. They aren't as sophisticated as the ones you buy, but they certainly destroy just as well. I have peices of heavier wire I unbend the end of and slide the toy peices onto and then rebend it around so they can't fall off. Really quick and easy and works great.
I think her problem was that her mac doesn't like the boring undyed wood... if i remember correctly. silly picky fids!! :p

Georgiesmum

Walking the driveway
Why not try some acrylic toys too they usually last a long long time.... My grey chews up all wood toys but the acrylics are still in tact :) I buy them at Home her prices are great!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I use Vitacritter dye. There is really nothing comparable for nice, bright colors. It is not really cheap, but it lasts forever and you don't use much at all. If you mix it with alcohol it is as bright as store bought toys or brighter! I also buy large vine balls in bulk, and vine twists, they love those. Coconut shells are good too, you can buy broken pieces for extremely cheap, let me know if you need that link!

Status
Not open for further replies.