• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! How do I get him back in his cage?

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
So my new cockatiel, Theo, is about 4 months old, I've had him for a little over 2 weeks now. He's finally chirping more often and everytime he talks my heart seems to grow bigger! I love him so much, but I can't really tell if he loves me back... probably not lol! I can get him to step up if I have millet 95% of the time. I have started showing him my room and such when he's on my hand eating the millet. He is scared but curious too when this happens.

This is the 3rd time I have put him on his playground/play-gym area. Every single time this happens he ignores me, ignores the millet, and just stands there looking away. He stayed the first time for like 3 hours before partially flying (his wings are clipped) and then I had to catch him and put him in his cage again. Last time that happened too, but it was about 1.5 hours when he partially flew off and I had to force him to step up to go back to his cage. I haven't ever tried putting him in a towel as the whole idea of that scares me and I think it would terrify him too. I have some questions.

1) How can I get him to step up when he's at the playground?
2) Why does he ignore me when he's up there, for hours at a time?
3) Should I keep taking him over to it or does he hate it?
4) Is it safe to just leave him in my room on the playground when I go upstairs or do I need to stay and make sure he doesn't try and fly or do something crazy?
5) Is it safe to put him in a towel? If so how would I go about doing that?
Thank you so much and sorry for the questions!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Are you planning on keeping him clipped? He would be much happier and confident if he could fly. He's stuck on his gym with no way down or away except you, who he just met.
If I were you, I would just open his cage and let him come out on his own so that he still has the option to go back in if he feels like he wants to, or climb around and explore a bit.
That's what I did for my bird when I first got him, just open the cage, grab a chair and hang out! I talked to him, read to him, played on my laptop. Let him get used to me and my presence in a non threatening way. Then when he was coming out on his own pretty consistently, we took short trips around the house on a perch stick that I held in my hand.
But for the beginning you want him to feel like he can get back into his cage or he will be very nervous!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I also had a play stand for Jupiter but she only started using it when she could fly to it by herself. Now it's the first place she flies! Yours will likely be the same in time. He just needs to get to know you! But having to pick him up when he's trying to fly makes hands scary. I think if you do the cage exploring first it'll go much better!

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
Are you planning on keeping him clipped? He would be much happier and confident if he could fly. He's stuck on his gym with no way down or away except you, who he just met.
If I were you, I would just open his cage and let him come out on his own so that he still has the option to go back in if he feels like he wants to, or climb around and explore a bit.
That's what I did for my bird when I first got him, just open the cage, grab a chair and hang out! I talked to him, read to him, played on my laptop. Let him get used to me and my presence in a non threatening way. Then when he was coming out on his own pretty consistently, we took short trips around the house on a perch stick that I held in my hand.
But for the beginning you want him to feel like he can get back into his cage or he will be very nervous!
I want to let him fly, in fact it wasn't my idea to get him clipped, he came to me clipped already. He can't really come out of his cage as it is about 20 inches off the ground, just how the cage was made. I spend so much time with him and when he talks I always chirp back and it turns into a talking battle! He hates being on a perch stick and would actually rather be on my finger which is good and bad, but as soon as the millet goes away he starts nipping lightly and sort of attacking my fingers. My only problem is that I can't get him off the playstand and when he partially flies down I think he kind of hurts himself most times.

Maybe I'll move his playstand right by his cage on the ground though, so its closer and he won't feel as threatened being far from his cage.
Thanks for your help!

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
Does anyone else have any insight?
I'm debating on whether I should keep bringing him to it or maybe he hates it. I just don't know.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
It shouldn't be a problem if the cage is off the ground. You could move the perch close to the cage use some rope to make a little rope perch connecting the two! Basically you just want him to fly as little as possible while he left he's clipped so he doesn't get hurt and doesn't develop fear of hands by you having to grab him.
Mine was clipped to when I got him and now he loves to fly!

scott199

Walking the driveway
Our grey won’t be touched or step up (has once or twice now) but he really took to target training and will move almost anywhere now to get his little stick, started in his cage for 3-5mins 3/4 times a day and then with cage door open, same, then on top of his cage and even though he can’t fly I can move him around by tapping his stick on what even I need him to go on.
Maybe worth a try ?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there anything on the playgym to keep his attention? A perch and ladder isn't very interesting for them. Easily shreddable toys, foraging opportunities and food are far more fun.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
He should be able to climb even if the cage is 20 inches off the ground. Either attach a perch to the outside of the cage near the open door; or if the cage/door is big enough you can attach a short perch to the inside of the door so that it becomes an outdoor perch when the door is swung open. Or attach a rope perch as has been suggested. Maybe move his play gym next to his cage so that he can choose to climb out on it if he wants to. Later when he can fly you can gradually move it further away from the cage. My budgie used to climb to the top of the cage and hang out there.

That's great that he will step up for millet. ALWAYS offer millet for him to step up and down again if that is reinforcing for him. You can fade out the millet with more natural reinforcers when he is more used to you.

Try letting him out of the cage an hour or so before meal times so that he climbs back in himself when you put in the food bowl. Choice is an important reinforcer - he will be much happier if he can choose to come out (or not) of his own accord. Likewise help him choose to step up for you using millet as the reinforcer (reward). With a new bird, food is a great reinforcer to use as you haven't yet got a long history of different reinforcers. These will come in time.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You could try attaching a ladder between the cage and playstand