• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! How can I remove a bird nest without stressing my birds out.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
When my mom bought me my finches for me she also bought a nest and nesting fiber to breed them because that was what the breeder told us. Now my female finch has layed eggs.... what should I do? please respond.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Can you tell me more about your finches? Are they zebras? Zebra finches can breed rapidly and it is probably best to remove all nests. You can also get dummy eggs or hard boil the eggs she laid and put the dead eggs back in the nest until she slows down, I would mark the eggs you boil so that you can keep track. You could consider removing the nest now, I know your birds will be stressed and it isn't ideal. If you wait until your hen is done laying and starts incubation it may even be more stressful. Only you can decide what your plan is.

If you are planning to remove the nest I might try and get your finches out for a free fly and redo their entire cage. Take the nest out, reorganise the perches, get a few new perches/toys try and make it all seem a bit different. Then when your birds are reintroduced it will be a whole new setting and they won't be as transfixed on the lost nest. Unfortunately they will still experience some stress, there is no easy way to deal with this without causing some stress.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Can you tell me more about your finches? Are they zebras? Zebra finches can breed rapidly and it is probably best to remove all nests. You can also get dummy eggs or hard boil the eggs she laid and put the dead eggs back in the nest until she slows down, I would mark the eggs you boil so that you can keep track. You could consider removing the nest now, I know your birds will be stressed and it isn't ideal. If you wait until your hen is done laying and starts incubation it may even be more stressful. Only you can decide what your plan is.

If you are planning to remove the nest I might try and get your finches out for a free fly and redo their entire cage. Take the nest out, reorganise the perches, get a few new perches/toys try and make it all seem a bit different. Then when your birds are reintroduced it will be a whole new setting and they won't be as transfixed on the lost nest. Unfortunately they will still experience some stress, there is no easy way to deal with this without causing some stress.
Ok I'll try to get them to free flight in my room which I will birdproof and while they are busy I will ask someone to remove the nest, add some shredding toys and some perches plus i've already been thinking of upgrading my bird cage so I think that can help.
Thank you so much :finch4: :heart::D