• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help, hi all.

Elaine C

Checking out the neighborhood
My husband has just caught our Cockatoo's toe in the door taking off his top layer of skin. It's not bleeding but he's obviously in pain. Can I put sudocream and a plaster on, or any advice would be good please, regards Elaine

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry this happened. I am not familiar with the cream you mentioned. Is your bird limping or standing on one foot? If this were my bird I would use triple antibiotic ointment after cleaning the wound. Your best bet of course is an avian vet. Why would you use plaster?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Elaine
I agree, a plaster won´t be helpful as your bird will just remove it.

@JLcribber ?

Elaine C

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue Elaine
I agree, a plaster won´t be helpful as your bird will just remove it.

@JLcribber ?
I did laugh at myself after putting the comment on, I expect everyone thinks I'm a right idiot now, I just panicked. Lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Pretty bird. It looks like a minor wound. Perhaps a gentle wash with Dawn dish detergent would be all you need. You could put some in a flat dish with warm water and get the bird to stand in the water but not drink. Observe for any changes. Birds tend to heal quickly. If it is still bothering Phoenix on Monday I would contact vet. There are wound cleaners on the market you vet could recommend if necessary.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have an aloe plant? If so rub the fresh gel from a leaf on it. If not, you can use antibiotic cream. I'd give it a good wash, rinse well & then apply the cream. I wouldn't use ointment as it's pretty greasy.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Please don't use Dawn dish soap too drying. Just liquid hand soap and tiny tiny dab antibacterial cream rubbed in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne