• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help getting lovebird down from tree

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Outside? Take his cage, favorite trees, play noises he love, sweetly call him, try giving him a good path to fly down. It is more diccicult for them to fly straight down, so take a bit kf distance.

I hope you get your poor baby back down, good luck!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Put his cage outside close to where he is also put a food dish out to intice him to come to you

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Bring your other lovebird in cage outside I'm sure your other lovebird will call out to him .

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
WE GOT HIM!!!

But the whole story:

This morning, we let the birdies out. When we first got them, I had this routine to run through the house, checking the windows as I went, and that faded over time.

They must have been in my room for about 20 minutes, I was watching them, and for all that time (I feel silly to say it) I DIDN'T REALISE THE WINDOW WAS WIDE OPEN! So when both birds flew to the window, where they usually sit, I saw Nutmeg, who had managed to grip on to the window and Tango, who was on the other side of the window outside.

I yelled for my dad and he tried to reach for Tango, so I brought a perch from his cage (big mistake) and he flew away.

I panicked. And just ran out of the house after him, but couldn't see him. I started to knock on my friends and neighbors doors, and no one answered. Suddenly, my dad called, saying that he's flown right to our garden. And so we tried to get get him down, no luck. About this time, my dad went back to the house and got Nutmeg and put in a mesh bag, the kind your put in a washing machine for socks as we didn't have a carrier (funny enough, I was going to make a thread asking which carrier I should buy today!) and still Tango wouldn't come, he tried to call and got so close. He flew just as we were about to get him.

Part 2 below:

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
I ran after him, and heard him give a tweet and no more after. Then I continued to walk down the road, and hear a very small "cheep". Tango was now in a tall bush/ short tree. I asked people if they could help though most ignored me. It was at this point where he started to chew a leaf, because apparently it's fun to... Two people actually heard Tango and came to investigate, one thought it was a budgie tweeting, and the other, for about the first time ever said the words "its a lovebird", they stayed, but knew not to try and get him. But yet again he flew further away, though I managed to run with him.

This time, he was far higher, to the point where he didn't see us for a while, the man and woman stayed and just gave us advice, kindly. Finally, Tango saw my dad and flew to him, anf missed, but landed behind him and hopped into his arms. We had got him!

We started to walk home, with Tango sitting in my dad's hand, eating seeds. But then, something startled him, he flew away, and landed in a lower tree

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
Now, he was being really stubborn, just watching us with that stroppy look in his eye. This bird was having fun chewing leaf buds and didn't want to go back. We tried everything: me on dad's shoulders, making every single silly noise Tango likes and just being weird. Passers were quite nice about it, though they all left. Everyone had given up and my dad started the idea of just going home. But there was no way I was going, when Tango was right in front of us. I looked down for a second, then looked up, and there was Tango, flying towards me. Seizing the chance, my dad grabbed him with my coat and held all the way home.

And now, the birds are flying through my house, as it had never happened...

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
And now, just some questions.

Was it ok, to put Nut in that bag, I've seen some owners doing it in emergency situations such as fires and evacuations.

Should Tango be feeling fine, the first tree I think is safe for birds, the second (I'm rubbish at trees so bear with me) is some of tree with needles, but the the kind that aren't sharp, and the third, a small one that was almost like a weed, it also had some kind of berry on it, but Tango didn't eat any.

Also, Nutmeg was "in shock" for most of this, he's better now, flying, eating and biting me (though more than before). But should he be fine?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is terrifying. So happy you got him! I think he Will be fine, especially as he probably just chewed it up a but right? I think you did a great job bringing him home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very scary. Great that you got him back.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Happy he was found safe.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
such a happy ending!! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad you got him back.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so glad your little lovie is safe and sound.