• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Fresh squash seeds & sprouting...

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to sprout some squash seeds (acorn) & then dry some of them in the oven. How do I go about this?

Just removed & have majority of guts off but do I need to clean slime before a soak? Use plain water or vinegar water to soak? Soak time still 10-12 hrs?

Temp to dry in oven? Length of time?

Thoughts?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I would imagine no soaking is needed to sprout as they are already hydrated. I have never tried sprouting fresh squash seeds - my birds like eating them straight out of the squash. I usually freeze them and add a few to their breakfasts daily. I also think that if there is slime left on the individual seeds they might go moldy in the sprouting process? I could be wrong. Give it a go - would be interested in seeing what happens.

Not sure about drying in the oven. Looking forward to seeing other answers! :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha, I lied unintentionally... It's a butrernut squash. My brain kicks out the wrong word sometimes. Sorry about that!

Thanks Fuzzy. He's eating them now raw mixed into his roasted squash mush. I added a few sunflower seeds for encouragement. I based w/ veg. oil lightly because I was eating it too. Mine had a brown sugar, maple syrup a pat/pad of butter (about 1/2 tablespoon) omgoodness! Way too good, hope the sugar doesn't keep me up all night, should've had it for breakfast. Lol!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok so... this is what I ACTUALLY did & has been a hit. A huge one as a matter of fact.

Soaked the seeds in water til I made a decision in cold water. Rinsed many times & used a strainer that I usially use for my tea when a bag explodes. (Happens more than one would think) I drink a ton of tea.

I picked out any random orange from the squash while I did this. Used my sprout (vinegar & water mix) till they felt like wet seeds, no more slime.

Soaked 10 hours.

Added some to the last serving of sprouts the next morning & he was coosing these squash seeds over his 2 fan fave's, pumpkin seeds & chick peas.

Last night I soaked lentils seperately, he gives or takes the lentils. Ate all the squash seeds.

Tomorrow will be the end... :dontgo: mixed w/ the end of the lentil sprouts.

If I had dried them I'm unsure if he'd have touvhed them @ all. A great ending to squash guts! :cool7:Fid Mom overjoyed @ a healthy breakfast for days! Might get another when I sneak into Corona virus land for more perishables.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves them straight out of the pumpkin, just so you know, you will not need to dry them (in the future) to get them to grow........ if they're left inside the pumpkin for too long they will start to grow on their own inside the pumpkin and they will also grow if they are planted straight out of the wet pumpkin.
I basically get them out of the pumpkin and give them straight to Burt without even washing them, I only wash them if I buy a pre cut (which I hate) pumpkin as I do not know what may have touched them if it was not me who opened the pumpkin.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ok so... this is what I ACTUALLY did & has been a hit. A huge one as a matter of fact.

Soaked the seeds in water til I made a decision in cold water. Rinsed many times & used a strainer that I usially use for my tea when a bag explodes. (Happens more than one would think) I drink a ton of tea.

I picked out any random orange from the squash while I did this. Used my sprout (vinegar & water mix) till they felt like wet seeds, no more slime.

Soaked 10 hours.

Added some to the last serving of sprouts the next morning & he was coosing these squash seeds over his 2 fan fave's, pumpkin seeds & chick peas.

Last night I soaked lentils seperately, he gives or takes the lentils. Ate all the squash seeds.

Tomorrow will be the end... :dontgo: mixed w/ the end of the lentil sprouts.

If I had dried them I'm unsure if he'd have touvhed them @ all. A great ending to squash guts! :cool7:Fid Mom overjoyed @ a healthy breakfast for days! Might get another when I sneak into Corona virus land for more perishables.
Glad to hear it was a huge hit, Rain! :cheer:
OMG I am :coffeescreen: at your exploding tea bags and Corona virus land!! :laugh: I'll be on a perishables mission in Corona virus land tomorrow. :rpg1: