• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help for a Recovering Budgie (first post)

Reindeer

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
A.J.
Hello, community! I'm a long-time lurker (if you count 2-3 months as "a long time"), and I have a very important question that, hopefully, someone can help me with.

I've owned several birds over the years (six budgies, one cockatiel, and one conure) but I've never encountered an issue with any of them like the one I'm having now. Five days ago, my youngest bird, Michii, a roughly two year-old female budgie, was chased off the perching spot she shares with her other budgie and conure playmates. I'm usually watching all three when they're out together because my conure's a bit of a bully and likes to peck at the budgies when I'm in the room, so I'm usually handling him to keep him busy so all of them can get time out of their cages without distress. Well, he ran Michii off and she hit my ceilling fan, which was going on a medium-high setting at the time — And that was my fault, as my room's at the back of the house, which is pretty old and never had central air and heating installed. My portable fan, which was keeping the room at a pleasant temperature due to the fact that summers down here in the South get ridiculously hot, had broken a day prior and I planned to go out and purchase a new one, but of course that didn't happen.

Michii eneded up with a bloodied cere and bruised beak/side of her mouth, and I rushed to the last remaining avian vet in my area. He kept her overnight in an incubator and I came to pick her up on the morning of August 18th. The vet had also prescribed by baby two oral medications — Trimethoprim, she continues to get two dosages of this until August 31st, and Metacam, which she's received her last dosage of today, as per the vet's prescription. I am a bit worried about Michii's vent, which is dirtied by dried poop that doesn't actually drop down like it should, and her tail is bobbing, but that may be due to the fact that there's still some dried blood on/in her nostrils. I know both are a possible sign of (respiratory?) illness, but I'm not able to get into contact with the vet I took her to, as he won't be back in until either tomorrow or the day after to confirm...is it possibly that her medications are causing this? She's been kept warm, in a dim/dark lighting during most of the day, and is still in the same room with her bird friends, who, when the lights are off, also get quiet and allow her to rest. Michii is chirping and acting like she normally did before the injury, bu due to he sore beak, has to eat soft foods, millet, and crushed seeds. She was one my birds that was never hand-tamed, so it is a bit of a hassle to give her medicine since she runs all over the cage and Ii'm trying not to agitate her so much when I have to catch her.

I can provide more information and/or pictures of her and her situation if needed. Thank you all in advance, and mods, if this is the wrong thread to post this topic please move it if you're able to!

— Reindeer

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I so wish I had some advice for you - but I have no experiencing with medicating any birds at all. :(
Hopefully someone will tag the ones who do, and give you some suggestions. In the meantime, welcome, and I'm so sorry about Michii, and hope she will continue to feel better with time! I'm going to tag some folks who have multiple budgies, and @Mizzely too. @PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers - maybe they can help.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hello, community! I'm a long-time lurker (if you count 2-3 months as "a long time"), and I have a very important question that, hopefully, someone can help me with.

I've owned several birds over the years (six budgies, one cockatiel, and one conure) but I've never encountered an issue with any of them like the one I'm having now. Five days ago, my youngest bird, Michii, a roughly two year-old female budgie, was chased off the perching spot she shares with her other budgie and conure playmates. I'm usually watching all three when they're out together because my conure's a bit of a bully and likes to peck at the budgies when I'm in the room, so I'm usually handling him to keep him busy so all of them can get time out of their cages without distress. Well, he ran Michii off and she hit my ceilling fan, which was going on a medium-high setting at the time — And that was my fault, as my room's at the back of the house, which is pretty old and never had central air and heating installed. My portable fan, which was keeping the room at a pleasant temperature due to the fact that summers down here in the South get ridiculously hot, had broken a day prior and I planned to go out and purchase a new one, but of course that didn't happen.

Michii eneded up with a bloodied cere and bruised beak/side of her mouth, and I rushed to the last remaining avian vet in my area. He kept her overnight in an incubator and I came to pick her up on the morning of August 18th. The vet had also prescribed by baby two oral medications — Trimethoprim, she continues to get two dosages of this until August 31st, and Metacam, which she's received her last dosage of today, as per the vet's prescription. I am a bit worried about Michii's vent, which is dirtied by dried poop that doesn't actually drop down like it should, and her tail is bobbing, but that may be due to the fact that there's still some dried blood on/in her nostrils. I know both are a possible sign of (respiratory?) illness, but I'm not able to get into contact with the vet I took her to, as he won't be back in until either tomorrow or the day after to confirm...is it possibly that her medications are causing this? She's been kept warm, in a dim/dark lighting during most of the day, and is still in the same room with her bird friends, who, when the lights are off, also get quiet and allow her to rest. Michii is chirping and acting like she normally did before the injury, bu due to he sore beak, has to eat soft foods, millet, and crushed seeds. She was one my birds that was never hand-tamed, so it is a bit of a hassle to give her medicine since she runs all over the cage and Ii'm trying not to agitate her so much when I have to catch her.

I can provide more information and/or pictures of her and her situation if needed. Thank you all in advance, and mods, if this is the wrong thread to post this topic please move it if you're able to!

— Reindeer
The vet must have someone there that can look at his patients if there is an emergency. Or an answering service.
To me Tail Bobbing difficulty breathing is an emergency.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The vet has given her Metacam for pain and reduce swelling and the Trimethoprim as an antibacterial -Neither of those medications should be causing the symptoms you are describing. It's always difficult to diagnose exactly how much damage has been done by a fan strike, but it seems she is still bleeding from somewhere in her head area. The poop is another thing altogether and may just be from the shock she's been through.

As far as the tail bobbing goes, can you see any evidence of strained, struggling breathing? You need to determine if she is breathing heavily and if she is talk to the vet as soon as he gets in. If you can call his receptionist and tell her what is going on.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Do you have a pic of the injury? Or video of the tail bobbing? Are her meds being given by dropper and if so, is she taking them well or are you having a struggle with administration?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The tail bobbing + dirty vent is concerning to me. I would definitely want to take in my bird if they were presenting those symptoms.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh dear, could be shes still upset from her ordeal, could be the meds are giving her poo problems, you say her injury is her cere and beak,,that may cause the tail bobbing,,with an injury like that, she may struggling to breathe ..but, best to get her rechecked, if you must, write everything down, all questions, all concerns, that way you dont miss anything. Hope she will be ok.

F

Francesca503

Possibly picked up an infection at the vet office.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Do you have a pic of the bird? All that has happened could bring out respiratory issues or could also be from all the stress from going to the vet staying their away from the flock bringing her back etc being stressed can cause their droppings to change but its still best to have her seen by an avairy vet to get checked out