• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help for 12 year old tiel Seb? Need help with calming supplements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
I have owned him for 5.5 or 6 years, he is approximately 12, has plucked for psychological reasons since I first got him. I tried for years to get close to him, he hisses, screeches, squeals, bites and plucks his feathers and is addicted to seed (will refuse to eat any veggies or fruit I give him but I am now, thanks to this place, trying to sprout some of his seeds and have added chia seeds to his diet). Anyway, can someone help me find a good supplement for him? I heard that King's No Pluck is good for aggression, anxiety and plucking- has anyone used it? How about Bach's rescue remedy, or avi-calm? Do you know which stores sell any of these (no credit card) in the Vancouver, BC region (there are big chain stores like petsmart and petcetera as well as small, locally owned stores and a few stores specializing in only parrot and parakeets).

For those with pluckers and aggressive birds who have used supplements, what would you recommend? Thanks so much!

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Thanks. I won't give up on him. The pluck no more, I am a bit hesitant to use. They say they need about 8 bottles (at 34 dollars US a bottle that is a lot)- especially for someone who, after paying the rent, lives on less than 500 a month for everything (all other bills, etc).

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Maybe Danita will see this; she is in Vancouver and may know a few stores.
I personally have never heard of any "miracle" cure for plucking, since there can be a host of reasons that lead to plucking. First step is determining the cause; which means a vet visit, tests etc. If medical reasons are ruled out, then diet is often a contributor.
If you wanted to try Avicalm, or another product, I am sure any of the vendors here will take checks, as opposed to a credit card.
May I also suggest presenting fresh vegetables in a new way? Often, if we change the way food is offered, it entices fussy birds to start trying new foods. Skewers work great! Danita, at Things for Wings, carries skewers.
Have you asked the great people at Grey Haven, for their opinions regarding the products you mentioned? Having met a few of the women that volunteer at Grey Haven, I know they could offer sound & sensible advice.
Best of luck, and I hope you consider trying a skewer for fresh veggies/fruits.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried a weak camomile tea? It has calming properties. My Tiel (RIP) refused all pellets and fresh anything:rolleyes:, what finally worked was Roudybush crumbles, it resembles seed.

FreeByrd

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Roudybush crumbles is one of the few pellets my budgie will accept. But I have to cut them into even smaller sizes.... like, itty bitty pieces... for her to even try them! Same with Nutriberries (and she only eats a few items from those) and she'll sometimes eat fruit flavored pellets that are finch sized. So maybe try a very small sized Roudybush and then cut them up if those are too big.... It is a pain, but worth it.

Marley won't eat fresh food yet either. I am still hoping.... Good luck with Seb. I sure hope he'll stop plucking and be happy!!
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.