• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! First time cockatiel owner.

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
I brought my 8 week old baby home yesterday from the breeder. It was super sweet when i saw it and even knew how to step up. Once we got home he was extremely scared and started being aggressive. He has been just sitting at the bottom of his cage for almost 20 hours. I'm really getting worried why he doesn't seem interested in doing anything. I have been leaving him alone and not bugging him. I did open the cage this morning and he came flying out (wings weren't clipped very much) like a lunatic. He eventually plopped on the ground and I ser a towel over top of him and put gloves on to grab him because he was getting pretty nippy and has been hissing. I've been researching and researching over the past 2 months and I just want someone's opinion for my situation. What exactly should I do?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't mean to be rude but back off and give your little one some space and time to adjust to a new place, surroundings and a new person/people. As well as adjusting to the fact that he/she is completely alone; I'm assuming when you visited the breeder your fid was part of a group of young tiels?

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Pretend he is not there and put him where he can see what's going on in the house but at the back of a room somewhere quiet in a corner and try not to stare at him much. If he is eating and drinking then leave him be but it is normal for a new bird not to eat usually maybe 48 hours. Dont let him out until he is confident and recognises the cage as his safe place. Then after he feels safe try and make friends with him....
Good luck and hope things go well...

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Put some millet in the cage, too, if it looks like he's not eating, because chances are he'll go for the millet. Reading by the cage is good, as is any type of activity where you're not paying attention to him. Every bird operates on his or her own schedule...so just be patient.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Definitely give your little one time to settle in! I know you are super eager to bond with them but I'm not joking when I say it can sometimes take WEEKS for a bird to become comfortable with its new home. Right now your little boy has been taken away from his family and everything familiar to him and then was toweled and grabbed by a huge scary monster!

My best advice would be to leave him be until he decide to approach YOU of his own free will. No more grabbing, or touching, or chasing him around. I'd also just leave him in his cage so you don't have to towel him again; he will be fine without the extra freedom for a few weeks. Start dropping treats in his bowl when you're near the cage to teach him you are a friend. Spend time around the cage but don't just sit there and stare at him like a predator. Look into clicker training for a good hands-off way of bonding with and taming your bird.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like everyone has stated, give the new tiel some time and space to settle in.
He suddenly went from the only home he has ever known to an unfamiliar, unknown territory. That's how he sees it.

The best advice I can give you is to let the tiel set the pace of progression. Do not, do not, give him attention all the time. It's too stressful right now. Talk to him in a quiet voice. Maybe a cute little sing-song voice. For now, don't handle him. It's too stressful. For now, only handle him if it is an absolute emergency.

I have had tiels for 12-13 years.

How big is his cage?

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
I don't mean to be rude but back off and give your little one some space and time to adjust to a new place, surroundings and a new person/people. As well as adjusting to the fact that he/she is completely alone; I'm assuming when you visited the breeder your fid was part of a group of young tiels?
Yes I completely understand. And yes he was with a few other young birds.

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Pretend he is not there and put him where he can see what's going on in the house but at the back of a room somewhere quiet in a corner and try not to stare at him much. If he is eating and drinking then leave him be but it is normal for a new bird not to eat usually maybe 48 hours. Dont let him out until he is confident and recognises the cage as his safe place. Then after he feels safe try and make friends with him....
Good luck and hope things go well...
Thankyou. I'm going to ignore him from now on as hard as that's going to be.

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Put some millet in the cage, too, if it looks like he's not eating, because chances are he'll go for the millet. Reading by the cage is good, as is any type of activity where you're not paying attention to him. Every bird operates on his or her own schedule...so just be patient.
I have millet sitting my him so hopefully he'll go for that.

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Definitely give your little one time to settle in! I know you are super eager to bond with them but I'm not joking when I say it can sometimes take WEEKS for a bird to become comfortable with its new home. Right now your little boy has been taken away from his family and everything familiar to him and then was toweled and grabbed by a huge scary monster!

My best advice would be to leave him be until he decide to approach YOU of his own free will. No more grabbing, or touching, or chasing him around. I'd also just leave him in his cage so you don't have to towel him again; he will be fine without the extra freedom for a few weeks. Start dropping treats in his bowl when you're near the cage to teach him you are a friend. Spend time around the cage but don't just sit there and stare at him like a predator. Look into clicker training for a good hands-off way of bonding with and taming your bird.
Yes very eager to start bonding with him. Wasn't trying to put him, he just got spooked and happened to fly right through the cage door with me standing there. Thankfully he didn't get hurt. Only time i'm going to open the cage is to give him some fresh food and water.

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Like everyone has stated, give the new tiel some time and space to settle in.
He suddenly went from the only home he has ever known to an unfamiliar, unknown territory. That's how he sees it.

The best advice I can give you is to let the tiel set the pace of progression. Do not, do not, give him attention all the time. It's too stressful right now. Talk to him in a quiet voice. Maybe a cute little sing-song voice. For now, don't handle him. It's too stressful. For now, only handle him if it is an absolute emergency.

I have had tiels for 12-13 years.

How big is his cage?
Got it. His cage is 2 x 2 x 3 high. I got the biggest one I could find without the bar spacing exceeding 5/8".

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your little one is in a new environment surrounded by new people and objects. He is scared and unsure. Agree with others that you need to give him time. Does he have anything familiar in the cage with him....the same food or treats that the breeder was giving him? That can be helpful. Also sit by him and talk to him and offer him delicious treats but don't force him to interact. Congrats on getting your 'tiel.
Does he have a name?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't think what we mean is for you to ignore him but mainly not to watch him all the time or make him feel like he's being stalked. Talk to him softly whenever you approach his cage and tell him what you are doing when you change his water or food or add something to his cage. I'd also suggest that you avoid using a glove when you next have to pick him up; if he is scared stiff he'll associate being picked up with a glove with you (the scary person).

Birds will sometimes not eat if they're being watched (it's all part of the being afraid) so your best bet is to check the bottom of the cage for poop. Consider calling the breeder for any tips as to favourite food or treats used by him. Also ask for any other suggestions as to making your little one more comfortable around you.

And we don't mean to pick on you, we are trying to help both of you get used to each other. Unfortunately there's no speedy way to do it so patience will be what you're going to hear the most.

Last edited:

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Your little one is in a new environment surrounded by new people and objects. He is scared and unsure. Agree with others that you need to give him time. Does he have anything familiar in the cage with him....the same food or treats that the breeder was giving him? That can be helpful. Also sit by him and talk to him and offer him delicious treats but don't force him to interact. Congrats on getting your 'tiel.
Does he have a name?
He has millet and seeds which were in the cage he was in when I got him. I'm also offering pellets and once he eats i'll offer fruits and veggies. And yes i named him Maverick

Last edited:

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
I don't think what we mean is for you to ignore him but mainly not to watch him all the time or make him feel like he's being stalked. Talk to him softly whenever you approach his cage and tell him what you are doing when you change his water or food or add something to his cage. I'd also suggest that you avoid using a glove when you next have to pick him up; if he is scared stiff he'll associate being picked up with a glove with you (the scary person).

Birds will sometimes not eat if they're being watched (it's all part of the being afraid) so your best bet is to check the bottom of the cage for poop. Consider calling the breeder for any tips as to favourite food or treats used by him. Also ask for any other suggestions as to making your little one more comfortable around you.

And we don't mean to pick on you, we are trying to help both of you get used to each other. Unfortunately there's no speedy way to do it so patience will be what you're going to hear the most.
Ok yep I understand. Just go at his pace and don't push him. I've been waiting to bring him home for quite some time so it's not going to hurt to wait a little longer.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird! In addition to all the wonderful advice you've received so far, it might also help to cover his cage on three sides to help him feel more secure. Please keep us posted on how he is doing, and feel free to post some pictures!

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Congratulations on your new bird! In addition to all the wonderful advice you've received so far, it might also help to cover his cage on three sides to help him feel more secure. Please keep us posted on how he is doing, and feel free to post some pictures!
Thankyou! I have his cage in a corner of our living room and a blanket on another side so he should feel pretty safe. He's still not sure of me but I think he started to nibble on his food and I saw him starting to perch!

zachpoff

Moving in
Real Name
Zach Poffenbarger
Does anyone know if it is possible to upload a picture off of an iPhone onto here?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I brought my 8 week old baby home yesterday from the breeder. It was super sweet when i saw it and even knew how to step up. Once we got home he was extremely scared and started being aggressive. He has been just sitting at the bottom of his cage for almost 20 hours. I'm really getting worried why he doesn't seem interested in doing anything. I have been leaving him alone and not bugging him. I did open the cage this morning and he came flying out (wings weren't clipped very much) like a lunatic. He eventually plopped on the ground and I ser a towel over top of him and put gloves on to grab him because he was getting pretty nippy and has been hissing. I've been researching and researching over the past 2 months and I just want someone's opinion for my situation. What exactly should I do?
At 8 weeks old, your baby may be regressing and may be hungry if he has hand fed. You need to go to the store, get handfeeding formula, make it following the directions for your baby's age and you will see a change. This is exactly what happened to me when I first got Bella. I am comfortable with a syringe and the first time Bella saw that syringe, she stopped being the scared little tiel and she figured that I would be ok. Now she is the boss of me. Also get a scale and weigh him to make sure that he is gaining weight. Don't stop giving him his regular food. I got Bella at 7 weeks and she took feedings until she was 13 weeks. First I fed her 3x a day, then twice, and then at night for a while. Welcome and thank you for being concerned enough about your bird to ask questions. The static noise you hear is the I'm hungry noise. Also, don't be afraid to ask your breeder if this doesn't help.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can upload a photo from your phone by clicking the link that says "upload a file" directly below where you would type a response. From there you can choose a file from your camera roll or take a new picture.