• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Finding New Home - 2 Male Budgies in Central NC

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Hi, all. Long time no see. I used to be pretty active here but have not been on in quite a while.. This was the type of post I never thought I'd be creating, or would ever want to, but here I am.

I currently have two male budgies named Kiwi (green) and June (blue, also goes by Junebug).. And unfortunately I have come to the realization that I need to find them a new home.

I feel guilty for even thinking it, but the more I dwell on it, the worse I feel realizing that I've been putting it off for much too long. To make a long story short, I live alone, work full time, have a crazy schedule, etc. It isn't fair to them that I'm not able to give them as much time as they need and deserve. They are bonded to each other, and not to me, which is perfectly fine and I have been okay with that, but understanding that I don't spend enough quality time with them isn't okay. I know that the proper environment, that I unfortunately can't provide for them, will make them thrive. Rehoming them would give them a better life than they have with me, and doing what is best for them is all I want.

I also have a cat, and he's another problem to the situation. I used to have another cat as well, his brother, and the two were inseparable bonded litter mates. Unfortunately, one of them had to be put down right after Christmas. Ever since, my current cat has become obsessed with the birds. I keep them separated, but he has become hellbent in trying to get into the bird room, screaming, tearing gates down, and destroying my apartment in the process. Thinking of rehoming my birds hurts, but the thought that my cat may find a way to get to them and kill them, hurts even more. If that were to happen, I don't think I could forgive myself.

Some additional info on the birds.. Kiwi and June are a bonded pair. They are finger trained, but not too fond of human interaction otherwise. Kiwi has finally started to allow some scritches, but June is still not a fan. They were adopted back in June of 2018 and were estimated to be around 5ish months old by the vet. They were taken to the vet after their adoption and had a case of AGY and were immediately put on Amphotericin for a little while, but have not had any other health problems in the time that I have had them. Unfortunately since they were not adopted from a breeder I am unsure of their history otherwise. They're currently on a diet of goldenfeast bird food and some fresh veggies. No issues with plucking or bullying each other, or with biting me. Their favorite toys are shredded paper and vine balls. They're also pretty camera-shy. I currently have them in a very large cage (30x34x18.5) so that they can at least have some room to fly around and stretch in a safe place when I'm not around.

I attached a few pictures here, but they were taken over a year ago. It's late here currently but I will get some new photos of them tomorrow.

KakaoTalk_20180625_202040298 (2).jpg KakaoTalk_20180809_195014850.jpg

I've never rehomed a pet before. If anyone could offer some advice, or has any kind of interest, please let me know.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

I am sorry to hear that your situation is not working out for you all.......it is a very selfless thing to want to put your birds where you believe they will be better off- such a hard choice to make :hug8:

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Have you found a home for them? I would love to take them but I can't come pick them up, I live too far
Oh my goodness, so sorry for the late response! I could've sworn I responded already but it looks like I didn't :(

I haven't found a home for them yet, they're still living me with me. A coworker of mine that I am friends with was extremely interested and since I know her personally (plus she has bird experience already, used to be a mom to some other bird species!) it felt like a good decision, but due to her roommate's severe (like, on the cusp of hives) allergies we unfortunately had to cancel the whole thing.

I've been avoiding advertising sites and for now just trying to ask around through friends. Even though things are struggling to work out with my current situation, I'd much rather hold onto them to keep them in an environment where it's safe than to pass them off to someone who may hurt them. At least with me I know they're in a separate room with a door that can close to keep them out of harms way and that they have a large enough cage and proper food. Even though I know me not being home enough or spending enough time with them isn't fair, at least they aren't being abused. My sinuses may be pretty crazy because of them ever since I had surgery on them last year and my cat may be ticked off about them still living here, but to me I can overlook those problems easily if it means keeping them out of a home that won't treat them with respect.

It isn't fair to keep them in a cage for most of the day with not enough attention as they deserve, but until I can find someone trustworthy to take good care of them, I'll continue to do my best to try to give them a good life. :smileflower:

Edit: here is their most recent photo! :)
KakaoTalk_20200611_131621108 (1).jpg

Last edited: