• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help feeding my Budgie

Mark Evans

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mark Evans
Have had my budgie for about 3 years, he is fully tame, his cage is open so he can come and go as he pleases, his name is Buddy and he is a talker and copies a lot of what I whistle or say, I live on my own.

When he first came he would eat pretty much anything budgie like, he loved the normal millet, I was in a shop and found this French Millet and boy did he like that, when it ran out I reverted back to the normal millet and blow me down he turned his nose up at that so now he gets the French Millet all the time.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that he had started to dislike that, all he will eat now are the seed sticks you can buy and it is working out a little expensive for me as I am disabled and have very little spare cash. He will eat Trill, well of sorts, he turfs the stuff he doesn't like and eats the stuff he does like.

The biggest problem I have is that when I eat he is all over me trying to get at my food and I won't have it, he's a budgie not a human, once I have finished eating I put the plate on the floor till I go and wash it, Buddy is down to it like a shot, will eat anything that's on the plate.

Another strange thing he does is regurgitate his food onto the bells and then scrape it off when its dry and a rather large pile ends up on the bottom of his cage, he does this to anything where he can see himself, have read up on it and found out that he is in love with his reflection and feeds his reflection as he thinks there is another bird there, correct me if anyone thinks differently.

The problem I want to try and iron out is his fussiness with food, so if anyone can come up with any suggestions to try, I would be eternally grateful, many thanks in advance.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Does he eat veggies? Maybe try eating some fresh veggies and see if he’ll eat some of them on the plate. Have you tried pellets or other seed mixes that contain other things besides millet?Carefully sprouting your own sprouts is a good way to get him to eat fresh foods also.