• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Did I mess up?

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
Hello! Me and my boyfriend just yesterday bought a cockatiel (3months old from a breeder) and we brought him home and he sat with me while watching my boyfriend set up his cage, he was nice and let me pet him and all this jazz and once the cage was done we put him in to clean up.

But that’s night we took him out and had him sit with us and today i’ve taken him out and he’s slowly become more and more hostile towards me. i realized that i should’ve been leaving him in his cage for a while until he’s accustom. But now it’s too late to go back and not take him out!

My question is: will he now struggle forming a bond with me or my boyfriend, does he now see me as unsafe and won’t ever bond right with me?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You just got him. He might be a bit unsure of himself. Let him come out of the cage on his own instead of taking him out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He will learn to trust you and form a bond with you. Just sit near his cage and read to him, drop millet in his food dish whenever you walk by, and leave his cage door open so he can come out when he wants to. You can put a perch right outside the door to make it easier for him. Eventually you can try giving him millet from your hands. I like to save it just for training. He’ll come around soon, just make sure you never force him to do anything, but make everything his choice. Congratulations on your new baby btw!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't believe in the rule of leaving your new bird in his cage for X days when you first get them. Some birds want to come out right away. Some don't. It sounds like your tiel was fine with coming out but now may need a little time. Usually I always let my birds come out on their own. Just be patient with him and follow his lead. :) Oh and baby tiels tend to be clumsy. So you may want to make sure that he can move around in her cage, that he can easily reach her food and water. Sometimes even lowering the perches for a little while is helpful if he seems to be clumsy.

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
you’re all so helpful!! i just found out that his mirror in his cage wasn’t high enough, and i move it up and he finally ate and is using his cuttlebone!! i’m exited!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay, great update!:dance4:

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
you’re all so helpful!! i just found out that his mirror in his cage wasn’t high enough, and i move it up and he finally ate and is using his cuttlebone!! i’m exited!!
DONT PUT A MIRROR IN HIS CAGE!! birds become more mean with the mirror in the cage, you can put one in later in life usually but now when he's new don't because he will think it's a mate and become hostile

JellotheTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
When I got Jello, the people at the bird store told me to wait until she found the food and water, and after that we took her out and taught her to “step up” right away. I think finding her food and water took about half an hour.

Deneen

Meeting neighbors
They are all very much individuals, always let the parrots behavior dictate yours (unless there is some sort of danger). Open his cage door, let coming out be his choice. Giving them choices is the easiest way to build trust IMO..that and food. I foster for a rescue group, some walk in like they've always lived with us, some take weeks to come out of their shells. This babies entire life has changed, he'll come around!