• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help DDDD:

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
Hello!
I have a green cheek conure. They are a rescue, so we don't really know much about them. Their name is Boba. He is a brat, and he is out of his cage most of the time. I am getting worried because he is ripping his tail feathers. They are looking terrible, and I am worried. Does anyone know what I should do? Or how to prevent this?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What size cage does he have? Sometimes that is the result of too small or cramped of a cage and the feathers rubbing against the bars

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
What size cage does he have? Sometimes that is the result of too small or cramped of a cage and the feathers rubbing against the bars
I would say... maybe, 1.75 feet? 21 inches.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Can we see his setup? He might need a bigger cage. Does he have any toys in his cage?

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
Can we see his setup? He might need a bigger cage. Does he have any toys in his cage?
Sure! Let me get on that. And yes. He has toys in his cage. I am saving up to get him more as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Next question: does he actually play with the toys in his cage? ;)

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
Next question: does he actually play with the toys in his cage? ;)
Yep! He attacks his bell. I think thats when he ussualy gets his feathers damaged. The bell is hanging from the top of his cage, so he hangs from the "wall" and squawks and screams at it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep! He attacks his bell. I think thats when he ussualy gets his feathers damaged. The bell is hanging from the top of his cage, so he hangs from the "wall" and squawks and screams at it.
That sounds accurate :lol:

My guess is then that a larger cage would help prevent the tail damage you are seeing :)

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
That sounds accurate :lol:

My guess is then that a larger cage would help prevent the tail damage you are seeing :)
One more thing. (and thanks. Ill look for a bigger cage :D) He is grabbing his tail feather and biting at it, scratching his head with it, and ripping it. Is it a sign of molting or is it the cage thing? (he does it in and outside his cage.)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One more thing. (and thanks. Ill look for a bigger cage :D) He is grabbing his tail feather and biting at it, scratching his head with it, and ripping it. Is it a sign of molting or is it the cage thing? (he does it in and outside his cage.)
If the feathers are already damaged it can lead to them destroying them further before they truly molt it out. If it was molted you would not see the feather shaft at all as it would fall out

bobatea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Boba
If the feathers are already damaged it can lead to them destroying them further before they truly molt it out. If it was molted you would not see the feather shaft at all as it would fall out
Alrighty! Thanks!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Has he had a recent vet visit? Always my first question.