• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Confused Chinese painted quail

Jaquilee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacquie
Hi
I recently bought a twelve week old trio of cpq. The females both had bare backs although not red or sore. They got on really well but in three days there were two eggs and then one died. No eggs since. Thinking I’d got two males I bought four 5 week old females.
The two remaining of my trio are comfortable together. But no eggs. And if I put in mealworms they are left.
So while doing a clean out I put the ‘hen’ in with my young hens. All ok just snuggled together.
The put ‘hen’ back with known male plus one of the young females. Known male does all the courtship dances for young female.
So I bought 4 young females to make up two trios using known male and other.
But now don’t know what to make of behaviour of ‘other’.
Is it male or female. It’s a pied so no telling from feather.
Any ideas?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum!

Here is more general information that you may find helpful.
ADW: Coturnix chinensis: INFORMATION

Egg laying behaviours can change based on weather, stress or diet. Most ground birds will reduce laying when it is raining. Can you share any pictures of your set up and the birds?

How did one die? Did anything change in their immediate surroundings, ie a new piece of furniture or new dog/cat etc? Use caution mixing birds that are at different levels of development. Older birds can act aggressively to the young if they are still displaying juvenile feathers.

I need more information about your specific setup, your location, are the birds outside/inside, photos of the birds. This will help give me a more informed response.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name