• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP - COMPLETE Change of Behaviour....

SpursFan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Colin Robinson
Hi Guys

It says there is no such thing as a Newbie but if there were, then I am the one!

I have never considered owning a bird before, much less an African Grey but inherited one under circumstances I will not bore you with. I was TOLD he was a HE and that he was “…around 5 years old” and despite my wife being the one who has an affinity with animals, “Albert” adopted ME! He ate when I ate, relished sitting on my shoulder, would “kiss” me whenever asked (and sometimes when not!) and would happily whistle and chat away to me all day long. He is not very good at flying, managing once round the room to find my shoulder once in a blue moon and occasionally, when spooked, fly into the nearest wall! He would also kiss my dogs, chat to my grandchildren and pinch their crisps and was generally, a contended and happy little chap.

Until recently.

One game he enjoyed was throwing plastic golf balls off the top of his cage and complaining until I put them back for him so he could throw them off again. For the last few weeks however, he has taken to sitting on the balls as if he were trying to hatch them. He is still OK with me, although he no longer wants to get on my shoulder, but has become VERY aggressive with my wife, especially if she tries to clean his cage (which is where his golf balls now are) or even reach in to change his food or water. His personality seems to have completely changed and he is not so eager to interact with us.

I am told the only way to truly know if he is indeed a SHE is an expensive DNA test which, as a pensioner, I can ill afford.

What should I do? If anything… Should I take the golf balls away? Find him a small bird’s egg to sit on instead? Find him a mate? Or just watch him suffer sitting on his “eggs” day and night waiting for them to hatch?

Please help as inherited or not, I do love “him”?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup: It sounds like "he" is hormonal ..I would take the golf balls away for now and get "him" interested in other toy like foraging toys ot toys that can be shredded ..what is "he" eating and how much sleep is "he " getting and how long have you had the pleasure of having "him"..how big is "his" cage and how often does he get out ..all of these things could be helping the hormonal behavior :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
:welave: the above to post a bang on, I would take away the balls and give him some space let him work it out and try not to upset him. It will pass, my two pink chickens go hormonal every other day....
:fantasy: hope things calm down soon....