• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Cockatiel won't step up!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hello everybody! I have a cockatiel named Sunflower. He's around 8 months old and a real cutie :). He takes millet from my hand, and pellets if he's hungry, but he doesn't really trust me beyon that. He's still in the cage he came in, but it's a little small. I want to get him a new one but I'm not sure how to transfer him. He won't play with any toys. He likes to chew on his branch perch, but I'm not sure if that counts. My problem: he's terrified of hands. The pet store I got him from had a owner that didn't really care for his birds too well. He grabbed Sunflower out of the cage in the store to put him in the cage he's in now, and Sunflower was biting like crazy. I'm pretty sure he's tramatized at this point. Also: his nails are pretty long, but like I said, he doesnt' like handls, so we can't cut his nails. Thanks for any help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A human can instill fear of hands in a bird. Patience and consistency should restore trust in time. Meantime teach him to step up to a perch held in your hand. Go very slowly at first.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Yeah, I also have the logistical challenges of birds whom I mostly can't touch. For a long time, I didn't think I could let my birds out of their cage because I didn't know how I was going to get them back into their cage when it was time. We eventually sorted that out. :)

How long have you had him? If he's at a stage where you're letting him out of his cage, you could just put the new cage near the old one and start putting treats in the new cage.

As to the nails, yeah that was a concern for me, too. If they're not too long you might be able to use one of the perches that naturally grinds down their nails. I have a few of those. The one that seems to get recommended the most is the pedi-perch.

If the nails are really overgrown, that can become a health and comfort issue and, I hate to say it but you might need to use a towel or something to capture him (I've never had to do that yet, I'm sure there are people who can describe the least upsetting to the bird way to do that) and give them a trim.

Good luck, one of my birds has just started to step up for me and the other one thinks I'm an ax murderer (maybe crooning "millet, tasty, tasty millet" does give off some ax murderer vibes, come to think of it) so I know how challenging it is when you can't just hold onto them.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
@above the problem is i've left the cage door open for the entire day with millet outside and he didn't budge. i think he has a fear of trying new things.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Honestly I've given up on taming him. He doesn't step up to dowels.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
How long have you been trying to tame him? Don't expect anything within the first 2 weeks at least. It can take a year to tame them, be patient. Even when you tame them, most become very affectionate and loving but some will never be fond of hands. Go at the birds pace!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't you worry, it takes months to gain the trust of a bird... Just talk and sing to him softly, sit beside his cage... Yes, they do not want to come out from their comfort zone (cage), I have my Amazon for 4 months, but he doesn't want to come out still. Experienced people from this forum told me to have patience and take it on the bird's pace. So, don't worry, have faith, you will get your reward in time.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
How long have you been trying to tame him? Don't expect anything within the first 2 weeks at least. It can take a year to tame them, be patient. Even when you tame them, most become very affectionate and loving but some will never be fond of hands. Go at the birds pace!
I've tried taming him for a few months.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry to hear that you have given up on your bird. One of the key points of having a companion bird is for the human to be patient. It could take years. Keep on trying, you dont know what this bird has been through.
@Monica

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I agree that it’s probably too early to give up on your friend- tiel time is just different from our time. I’ve had mine for a little over a year and he only steps on his own terms, but he still engages/interacts with me in a lot of ways. I found this post really helpful when I started to realize that my guy is just not into hands and may never be: