• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP! Cockatiel bleeding

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Hey, last night my young cockatiel tried to fly down from the window (she/he does not know how to fly yet). When I picked her up from the floor, she was bleeding from under her tail. We stopped the bleeding with flour. She is acting completely normal but do you guys have any idea what caused this? I cannot get her to the vet until Monday Unknown sex but we refer to her as she. About 6 months old

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Needs to see emergency vet, whether you stanched the blood or not.

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Needs to see emergency vet, whether you stanched the blood or not.
Do you know what it might be? I am so worried. I live in a very rural area over an hour from town and the vet is closed until Monday

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Looks like a prolapse, so a vet is needed right away because it can get infected or damage other organs. The area needs to be kept clean and moist until a vet can look at it and determine the best course of action. The vet might use stitches and prescribe antibiotics.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Keep us posted please on how she is doing. Sending good thoughts.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:whw:

Broken blood feathers is great news & something I thought of last night & was far better than any of the other things it could have been such as broken bones or internal injuries.

Normal poop without blood was also a very good sign.

Glad its nothing serious & she was taken care of by a vet so we can have a sign of relief.