• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help chicken is very lethargic!

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I have heard of it but never used it myself. Its hard to say rather she would get sick again are not prey animals are so good at hiding that they are sick to begin with. Im glad she seems to be doing better

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I called a vet and they said to give her a medicine called VetRx, have you heard of it?
View attachment 354817
This is what it looks like. I gave it to her yesterday and she actually seems better!
If she’s acting pretty normal is it likely she’ll get sick again?

It is hard to tell at this point. Some hens will have reoccurring problems. The good thing is that you are proactive. It will be easier for you to catch her behaviour early on. I would separate her for treatment so it is easy to gauge her intake of the medicine. She can see the other hens for her social wellbeing, but you need to know she is the one getting it! If she has a favourite treat you can try adding the medicine to it. As example, I can put medicines in grapes and my hen will swallow the grape whole. She gets the meds without tasting the suspicious taste.

If you can I would inspect her body closely. Look under her wings, between her feathers etc. Make sure she doesn't have any unusual lumps or ulcers. They are very good at hiding illnesses.

I have a few unique hens. One had a serious brain trauma a few years ago. She is still head chicken, but she can't preen all her feathers properly. I need to bathe her because she can't tend to her rear feathers. I also have an adorable scoliosis hen. Chickens, like people, sometimes live their lives with a uniqueness. :)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Also, I would make another thread for this but whatever :) Another hen of mine, Ginger, has been looking very patchy for a few days. I thought she was molting but now she has bald spots? Does it look like she’s just molting or could she be losing feathers for a different reason? CB8C1420-1A2E-4030-A31F-9AC1156E669C.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Also, I would make another thread for this but whatever :) Another hen of mine, Ginger, has been looking very patchy for a few days. I thought she was molting but now she has bald spots? Does it look like she’s just molting or could she be losing feathers for a different reason? View attachment 354827

Your black rose comb also has some inflammation around her eyes. Talk to your vet about the possibility of mites.

I would get the vet approval before treating mites, in case there are any problems using the medication in conjunction with other things.