• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help...Carly is not acting right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
Carly is my 12yr old SC2 that I adopted earlier this year. I noticed this evening that she was sitting in her food dish w/ her head buried and would not respond. My hubby picked her up and she seemed out of it - but not in a sleepy kind of way - more dazed & lethargic.

After about 5-10 minutes she opened her beak and a bunch of flemmy watery stuff came out along w/ a half eaten soggy pellet. A little while later she seemed to perk up and have attitude and we thought all is well.

Hubby put her back & went to bed. I continued to watch her & put new paper in her cage to watch droppings. Her droppings are very loose & watery. She feels warm. And is burrying her head in her dish again which is not normal posturing for her. Didn't scream at her normal a.m. & p.m. times today...I nervous...and it's early Sunday morning and I would almost be certain my avian vet is not avail.

Please any input would be greatly appeciated! She has not been outside. We have not touched any other birds or brought any new ones into our home. Nothing has been different.

I can't sleep, I'm worried sick...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She needs to be seen by an avian vet right away. This is very serious. I fear she may have foot lodged in her throat or in her windpipe. Its best to take her to a qualified avian vet in the morning. Keep her warm. The room temp should be 80-90 degrees, and no lower. :hug8:

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
Can you make a hospital cage or use the one you have?
Warmth is a must. 3 sides covered and a desk lamp near a side where she also has room to move away from the warmth if she needs to. Food and water if she needs it down low so she does not need to expend unnecessary energy.
Copying your post to the emergency 101 thread and mods closing this one should also attract more help.
Good luck. Hugs.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
This is an emergency, she needs to get to the vet ASAP. Do you have an avian vet or can we help you find one?

Have you looked at her behind? Could she be eggbound? If there is a bulge there you could try smearing a tiny bit of vasaline on her vent, and then letting her stand in warm water that is deep enough to cover her vent. If she is failing you can smear a little corn syrup on her beak to keep her electrolytes up.

DO NOT WAIT, she needs to be seen by a vet right away.

Ginger

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Terri please update us when you can. Your bird needs to be seen by an avian vet NOW. Please let us know if you need help finding a vet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
please update us as to her condition!!! hopefully you found an emergency vet to take her to.

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Please find an "avian" vet to examine your bird.

Please follow the advice in the previous posts about keeping your bird warm (80-90) degrees.

From reading your description of how your bird is acting:

1.) Possible obstruction in crop.

2.) Possible Fungal or bacterial infection of the crop and or digestive tract. If fungal infection in the crop you may see white or tan plaque in birds mouth or throat. Your birds crop can become slow moving due to a fungal or bacterial infection in the crop.

While waiting to see an avian vet you must keep your bird warm. You can also add some ACV to the birds drinking water (tsp-pint), should it appear the bird has a slow crop or you see plaque in the mouth.

Your vet will most likely do a minimum of a physical exam, fecal and gram stain. Blood work and X-ray may be needed depending on what the vet sees during the physical exam and fecal smear.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just checking for an update...hope your baby is ok.

Terri

Real Name
Terri
Ok...sorry for the delay, but I typed the original thread around 1am. After I got done posting the thread early this morning, I went back down to check on her and she had laid an egg - seems to be acting more normal now. I am currently at church but my hubby is at home watching her.

Thank you for all of your concern and if she goes downhill again I will let you know & contact my vet ASAP.

My next question is: this is the 2nd time she has laid an egg in the last 3 months. How do I get her out of this stage?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
After this cycle. 10-12 hours of dark. No warm mushy foods. No dark nesty houses, huts, boxes, etc. If she is shredding remove them daily.

DO NOT REMOVE THE EGGS. This will just cause her to lay more to replace them. Leave them where she's nesting for at least 30 days. Let her go through her cycle then implement the above preventative methods.

If you haven't already she needs a calcium booster to put in her water. You can buy it online.

Ginger

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
THanks for the update....ok, egg laying is no fun at all. Ginger gave you great advice. I hope she gets out of this cycle quickly. Watch for symptoms of being eggbound.
Swelling
Constipation
Fluffed Up Feathers
Straining
Sitting in the Cage Floor

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
glad it was nothing serious

2 eggs in 3 months isn't all that bad :) - that does NOT make her a chronic egg layer if that's what your worrying about.

Does she even pay attention to the egg when she lays them?

I have a Quaker who lays one every few months and in the 2 yrs i've had her only paid attention to it one time and actually incubated it, normally she ignores it or uses it as a soccer ball and kicks it around the cage

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
After this cycle. 10-12 hours of dark. No warm mushy foods. No dark nesty houses, huts, boxes, etc. If she is shredding remove them daily.

DO NOT REMOVE THE EGGS. This will just cause her to lay more to replace them. Leave them where she's nesting for at least 30 days. Let her go through her cycle then implement the above preventative methods.

If you haven't already she needs a calcium booster to put in her water. You can buy it online.

Ginger
I think Ginger has a great post :) I just wanted to add onto it :)

I would say, no warm mushy foods should exclude STARCHES and carbohydrates in the means of: corn, potatoe, french fries, breads, etc. Do not give any of these, and no added sugars! No sip of the tea, no nibble on a donut, or pizza crust, no added fruits in her diet like apples, etc. However bananas are o.k, as its a holistic pain/cramp reliever for egg laying hens.

Cockatoos really dont need 12 hours or more of night. As they will lay even in the darkest times of the year. Most captive cockatoos started laying eggs around autumn and winter time, the darkest times of the year.

How do you HANDLE her? Cuddles? Body cuddles? Is she allowed to sleep or cuddle or snuggle UNDER a BLANKET? If you do any of these, stop it immediately. Only preen the head, not the body. If she starts to pant, pick her up and walk around with her, distract her, get her out of the mood. Do not walk away from her. With cockatoos, if you walk away from their wooes and signs of sexual affection, they will take it as failure. They feel rejected.

Do not remove the eggs until she is done laying. She will probably 1-2 more eggs.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
glad it was nothing serious

2 eggs in 3 months isn't all that bad :) - that does NOT make her a chronic egg layer if that's what your worrying about.
Actually its very worrisome when it comes to larger species like macaws and cockatoos. In the wild they only lay once per year, maybe two if the season is right. And they typically lay 1-3 eggs each brood. Cockatoos really shouldnt be encouraged to lay eggs. So 2 in the past 3 months is really a lot. This can be a sign of her laying more eggs since the egg laying isnt consistent. Its best to discourage this behavior in larger birds.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
So glad you were able to get quick advice.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear that she is doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.