• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! Budgies excessively plucking feathers

demivco

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, this is my first post so I am not really sure where to start.
I have 2 budgies, Willow and Kiwi. Willow is approx 6-7 months old and Kiwi is 3-4 months. Willow was previously living with Basil, my older bird who passed suddenly from an allergic reaction to meds for a respiratory infection. Willow and Basil bonded and Willow was distraught when he passed.

Kiwi and Willow don’t get along but tolerate eachother. I recently moved them into a different cage (wider rather than taller). This was 2 days ago and ever since, both birds have been feather plucking. I know it isn’t moulting because they are plucking at their wing/back feathers and the feathers appear to have blood on the tips. They are scratching often too. I’m getting really worried and had a bad experience with the only avian vet near me (after I travelled an hour to see them), so am a bit stuck on what to do. Both birds have normal looking ceres and feet so I don’t know if it could be scaly face mites.

They have recently been refusing to go back into their cage at night, however have been going back during the day. They are eating and drinking normally but have the occasional sneeze. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried giving them separate cages?

demivco

Have you tried giving them separate cages?

Thank you for your reply, I have considered it but they don’t spend much time in the cage (only at night) and the feather plucking tends to be when they are outside of their cage. They are plucking their own feathers, not each other’s which is my main concern as I wonder if it could be an underlying illness ):

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thank you for your reply, I have considered it but they don’t spend much time in the cage (only at night) and the feather plucking tends to be when they are outside of their cage. They are plucking their own feathers, not each other’s which is my main concern as I wonder if it could be an underlying illness ):
From what I gather, plucking can be caused by any number of things. Where are you located?

demivco

From what I gather, plucking can be caused by any number of things. Where are you located?
South west England and Avian vets are very few and far between. They seem to be plucking a bit less at the moment, I’m wondering if it could be the change in heat we’ve had recently too.