• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP budgie in distress..not my bird but HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a good friend of mine who lives in South Africa found a budgie outside two weeks ago..She advertised etc..no answers so far..the bird seemed perfectly fine---he was eating, drinking poops normal...last night he was fluffed up and today he is as well and is not eating..there are no avian vets in her area..no regular vets either...she is keeping him warm..but what else can she do? pedialyte? (I don't even think she has access to it) any other suggestions? I heard you could give gatorade..Help out here please.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Does she have access to apple cider vinegar (the one with 'Mother' in the ingredients)? Adding a little to the drinking water may help. Also a little corn syrup on the tongue will help with electrolytes if she's lethargic .

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
One of the first things I do, Anne, for all sick birds but especially the little ones, is keep them in light 24/7. No darkness. The reason is that birds will sleep in the light but they will not eat/drink in the dark. It is really important to keep the foods and fluids going, so at any time during the 24 hour period that the bird may feel like eating or drinking, the food and water needs to be available and the lights turned on. One of the big mistakes I find people make (or suggest) is to cover the bird and put them in darkness or semi-darkness. All that does is make them even less likely to eat and drink. Warmth can be provided without providing darkness by covering.

As the bird progresses toward health, they can be progressed back to a 12/12 or whatever is their natural day/night schedule. Yes to pedialyte if it does not have sugar or coloring. Otherwise, cut the drinking water 1/2 and 1/2 with no-sugar added apple juice. Change the water twice a day at least. This will slightly sweeten the water and hopefully encourage drinking, but should only be done for about 3 days. Pedialyte would be better if she has access to it. I would also place a stick of millet near the bird where it is perching so that it can quickly eat without having to move toward the food source.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I wish I had some advice to offer... poor little baby..

DerekAndBianca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
My budgie got sick a few months ago too, I don't know why but he didnt eat and was fluffed so I made a very strong tea infusion of comfrey leaf, calendula flowers(pot marigold), echinacea, dandelion leaf, and chamomile flowers. I misted it on him while it's warm (test it on yourself first)and did this a couple times a day. If he won't eat then this helps becauase it still gets in his system specifically if he preens himself. I hope those herbs are available in that area.
I agree with the ACV in water. You can add a little aloe vera juice in water too. Or offer a clean sliced leaf of aloe vera for him to eat maybe if he chooses.Try offering (be persistant with keeping it available even if he refuses) him a little cooked oatmeal with a little natural unsweetened yogurt and fresh mashed berries. Yogurt can settle his digestive system, the oatmeal is healing and berries are tasty and nutritious. Although blackberries can incite diarrhea.
He needs sunlight and warmth, no breezes, especially with the misting of the tea. I hope he gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.