• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help- Broken Blood Feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
My little Sun guy has broken a blood feather. I got the bleeding stopped with flour. Called the vet and she said if it starts bleeding again I need to pull the feather. I have never done this before. Am I safe or do I need to pull it ? How do I pull it ? He is new to our home so this is quite stressful on him .

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Do You have someone that can help You do this? Its always better to have 2 people.Here is a video -I hope it helps

How to Pull a Blood Feather video from Answers.com Videos

Also if You have Cayenne pepper-make a paste with it-to stop bleeding,if it starts again.The Cayenne will also help with pain!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
My Hubby can help, but he's as reluctant to have to pull it as I am. The bleeding is stoppped for now, so we will watch him and see, if it starts back I guess we will have to pull it. Poor little guy is frightened and hurt. He did get to chew on a new toy though, and really gave it a good rippin apart.

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Try to keep him calm/quiet and warm.IF The bleeding starts again-You and Hubby will have to pull it.Do You have an Avian Vet that You could go to?:hug8:

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I Rescued a 3 year old Umbrella cockatoo and she is full of broken feathers. I got her at the begining of September and I take her in to a pet store that has guys that pull feathers cut thier nails and wings this last time they made her bleed and she has been un social for 2 days now she wont even come out her cage Im really worried about her:(

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I thought that now it is not recommended to pull feathers? That is what my vet said anyway. You can have them put a little staple in there, that is what we did with Phoenix, they called it a stitch but it was more like a staple. Worked great!

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I wish they didnt pull her feathers but thats what my vet is doing. He said they are so damaged they have to be removed so that good feathers can grow:(

Status
Not open for further replies.