• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Blind Dove

AKROBOTICA

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Keri
Hi! I'm new to the forum here and new to bird ownership! ( I am aware of bird care, I grew up around exotic birds and I used to volunteer at an exotic bird sanctuary. I haven't ever owned one because my father does not like the noise). ANYWAY... I just rescued a 20 yr old blind white male dove from a local "sanctuary"( their aviary conditions were not the greatest). They had no info on him. They didn't know who dropped him off or what gender he was, how he lost his sight, or even how long he had been at the "sanctuary" under their care. So, I know absolutely nothing about his past 20 year life. I'm guessing he is a boy because he coos a lot, but I dont know for sure. He has patches of feathers missing (some on his head and some of his neck). The lady said other birds did this to him, but I've seen him plucking out his own feathers already and he was by himself in a cage when I picked him up. I've had him for 2 days so far and things have been pretty great, I just want more info on how to keep him happy and healthy. I know 20 years is very old for a dove and I want his remaining years to be the best.
With that being said, here are my questions/concerns:
1. He is blind. How to I keep him entertained and have him get exercise without flying?
Right now he, sits in one spot in his cage and does nothing(same as in the "sanctuary"). I've experimented with setting up small obstacle courses on the ground outside of his cage and play music. He moves around and climbs on small objects and even "flies" like chicken. He also likes to climb on my body while I lay down with him. He does not seem to like bells though.
2. Should I get him a mate? If so, what kind?
Will getting him a mate stop him from plucking his feathers out? Or will the mate bully him?
3. How do I get him to stop from pulling out his feathers? And how do I help them grow back?
I dont know if this is because he lost his owner of 20 years, if it was the poor conditions at the "sanctuary" , if he had a bird mate and they were separated, or if his loss of sight was recent and not a birth defect.
4. His blindness. So he seems to be used to his disability, as he moves around pretty well. I'm thinking he is either partially blind or hes had this disability for awhile. The lady at the rescue place said he did not have eyeballs when I spoke to her on the phone. That's means hes been this way since birth. But when I picked him up, he did have eyes they were just shrunken in and his eyelids were puffy (one side more than the other). If this is a condition he developed or if he has partial vision( he reacts to light and movement), could there be a treatment for him?

This was a really long post. Thank you to all who take the time to read it!

Thanks,
Keri Snapchat-901134937.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Keri, Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

So wonderful you took this beauty home :)
What is his name?
It is always recommended to have a vet visit when bringing home a new bird, It would be a good idea to ask your vet all of those questions about his eye condition and hopefully they can give you better answers than the sanctuary did.

@Birdbabe

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will adjust to your home. Just keep everything in the same spot. Food and water that is.. I think he will be ok by himself, getting him a friend may not be a good idea, the other dove would know his disability and possibly pick on him. Doves can be mean,,I dont know why hes pulling his feathers,,a vet check is in order, If he sees shadows , then hes not completely blind, one thing ,is always announce yourself to a visually impaired bird before entering the room, so they dont flip out and possibly hurt themselves. Thank you for helping him.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say,
Welcome to AA! Don't move too many thungs he's learned location on. My guy has reduced sight & I've talked to a few w/ older blind birds.

The 2 biggest things I'm told:
is the recommendation about being consistant w/ things the learned & knew before they became blind.
The other is to be aware of swings & swinging items or perches. If a bird doesn't feel stable to something that they try to perch on, they will not go on it but step back. This gets much more important when a bird can't see.

Good luck!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is he plucking? Or did you just happen to see him remove a couple of loose feathers while preening?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a wonderful thing to do for this lovely guy. He is gorgeous!

I personally do not have experience with a blind bird. I do own a blind goldfish, she does not have eyes. She is such a sweetie. I normally hand feed her or at least direct her to the food, depending on the day.

I am also a very big fan of Tommy Edison the Blind Movie Critique. You should check out his YouTube channel. He is a human, but he helps explain what life is like for him.

I imagine a lot of the same things will apply to your bird. Keeping locations of things consistent. You can entertain him with dove sounds.

Something like this, but for doves.