• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Bleach fumes!

bethaneh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bethany Stull
I adopted two budgies 2 days ago, and this morning, I was sitting next to their cage, and smelled some chemicals coming from the kitchen. I asked my mother what that smell was, and she said she was cleaning with bleach!

I know bleach is bad for birds, so I quickly moved them outside for 30 minutes, and brought them back in, it didn’t smell like bleach anymore, but I was really paranoid about the fumes, so I put an air filter next to the cage. But I was still paranoid about their health and safety, so I moved them back into my room, where there isn’t much air circulation and is far away from the kitchen.

So I’m sitting with them back in my room desperately searching the internet for reassurance, when I found this website.

Any ideas or comments on this situation? I’m very worried and would appreciate any comments back!!

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Hi! It's great to see you being so diligent about your bird's health. I would put the air purifier in the kitchen or where your mom was cleaning. Do you have a porch or a place where they could be outside for a little bit while the house airs out? Maybe open a few windows to let the air flow.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

Great thing you did moving them away! Although I'm not completely sure if bleach is safe or not, my guess would be no, as bleach is used to kill germs and (in my house) bugs. So I would not risk it. You can tell your mom to use things like Vinegar, dawn dish washing soap, and bird safe cleaning supplies (can usually be bought at pet stores). Birds are very sensitive to strong fumes, such as candles, cleaning supplies, teflon non stick pans, and things like that. But if your careful, your birds should be fine :)

bethaneh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bethany Stull
Thank you guys soo much! I will move the filter into the kitchen and leave the birds outside for a little longer.

I’ve wanted birds all my life and now I’m finally a proud mother!

We’ve already gotten rid of all the Teflon pans and don’t use the self cleaning option on our stove. But I must of not told my mom about bleach...