• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(HELP!) Bad Situation

T.yler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tyler
Recently , Romeo died . I’m devastated because he was the bird that would come forward and step up and that would give Juliet the confidence to. He died of a crop infection. I’m grieving but his partner isn’t showing any signs of sadness. She doesn’t like me at all . She’s nippy , she wants nothing to do with me. I don’t know what to do , she would be quite rude to Romeo about eating first and being on what perch she wants to be on too. Do I get another parakeet for her ? Do I keep her alone and keep trying to tame her? Nothing really works. She knows my voice and recognizes it so she likes when I say her name and she chirps back but otherwise she makes it obvious I’m just being annoying when I try to tame her. She’s only stepped up once and from there bit me. I’m not very experienced as these are my first birds (I also believe Romeo had a crop infection before I adopted him and I simply never caught on...) Other family members have owned parakeets but never bonded with them and kept them in a cage (My family is very pet friendly just not very experienced with rodents or birds) . Any advice is very helpful.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don’t know what to do
If this is about the bird (not you) then you need to start looking for a companion for Juliet. Budgies are true flock birds and need others of their own kind. At that point you begin to "earn" both their trust.

T.yler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tyler
If this is about the bird (not you) then you need to start looking for a companion for Juliet. Budgies are true flock birds and need others of their own kind. At that point you begin to "earn" both their trust.
I don’t really know how to introduce two birds to each other. I’ve introduced mice but I don’t believe it would be the same? How would I introduce them together? And what if Juliet doesn’t like the bird?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss.

(I also believe Romeo had a crop infection before I adopted him and I simply never caught on...)
This is why a complete check up is alwasy highly recommended when bringing home a new bird.

I agree with John, once you are ready, finding a friend for your bird would be best for her.

In the meantime, spend some time by her cage, offer her some treats (millet) through the cage bars, talk gently to her. Be patient and calm. Try to invest the time into her to start building some trust.

What is her cage like? Are there plenty or perches and toys? Foraging opportunities?
Also, I would recommend two food and water bowls on opposite sides of the cage when you have more than on bird.

When the time is right and you bring home another bird, keep them separate as best you can (different rooms), while you get the new bird tested and receive the results and hopefully a clean bill of health (minimum 6 weeks quarantine - you can use that time to interact with the new bird alone, again feeding treats through the bars, talking etc.). Once the quarantine is over, place the cages in the same room and allow them to call to one and other. The best meeting place would be out of their cages, be vigilent and hope they get along :)

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Sorry for your loss of Romeo :sorrow:
I also think another budgie would be best as they do enjoy each other’s company- even if it seems like they get “annoyed” with each other at times. Preferably another male though since 2 females are less likely to get along- especially since you said she already exhibited typical hen “boss” behavior with Romeo. Zara gave some great pointers for working with her, providing lots of enrichment and also how to introduce the new birb. If you follow that advice, all *should* go well, and just in case it doesn’t... you have AA! Good luck and please keep us updated! :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I'm so sorry about Romeo. I agree with everyone else that getting a new friend for Juliet would be best. I would give her a bit of time to "grieve" however. During this time, try bonding with her as @Zara has said. Talk with her but don't force it, just try to let her know that you are there. I agree that a male would be accepted better than a female. Keep them separate for quarantine then introduce them in separate cages. Let us know how it's going.:)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope Juliet will be okay. Have you read all the articles here on 'taming' by searching taming in the search bar? Might help you figure out what to do.

Dorcas George

I’m sorry about Romeo. :sorrow: Good advice here already. That bossy behavior is typical of most of our little budgie hens and the reason that two of them might fight.