• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help! Baby Coot found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven1645

Checking out the neighborhood
I just found this little bird on the street. No parents around and being attacked by gulls.
I couldn't do anything else than to take it home with me.

Putting it back where I found is it not an option.
Nor is bringing it to the local pet care (long story).

It's refusing to eat bread and seeds, haven't tried anything else.

Help please!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307904341.416065.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307904382.435916.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
try baby food or even pablum (mixed with warm water instead of milk..warm, not hot) also see if you can go in the garden and get some earthworms...squish them up and offer them ..you may have to put on its beak...call all the local rehabbers in the area.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Diet
The Coot is an omnivore, and will take a variety of small live prey including the eggs of other water birds, as well as algae, vegetation, seeds and fruit.[6] It shows considerable variation in its feeding techniques, grazing on land or in the water. In the water it may upend in the fashion of a Mallard or dive in search of food.
[SIZE=-2]DIET:

[SIZE=-1]Mostly aquatic veg, algae; also fish, tadpoles, crustaceans, snails, worms, aquatic and terrestrial insects, eggs of other marsh-nesting birds[/SIZE]

Hope this helps you!
Here is another site that also might help: Hand-rearing Coots & Moorhens (Techniques)

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww, good luck with the baby.:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a pretty baby! I hope he soon starts to eat for you. Keep him nice and warm. He may start to eat after his temp gets back to normal.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have a nature center or conservancy near you? I would call them immediately to see if you can get a rehabber.

Ginger

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I don't mean to sound rude, but I am a wild bird rehabilitator and we have to tell people constantly NEVER feed birds bread. It could potentially kill the bird (or any) because their digestive system cannot handle the way bread is made today (such as added chemicals). I know a coot is not considered waterfowl, but a common waterbird, this is what we recommend people to do with any waterfowl they find and cannot get to a rehabilitator.

A youngster usually imprints on the species it is being raised by. Imprinting is not reversible and an imprinted bird can not be returned to the wild. Keep birds quiet and away from people and pets. Some waterfowl,such as wood ducks, can die quickly from the stress of simply being around people.The best way to help young waterfowl is to place the bird in a box with small air holes at the top of the box to provide ventilation and a towel on the bottom to provide traction and small (peanut butter jar lid size) dishes with water, chopped lettuce and/or cracked corn (NO BREAD PLEASE!). This is a very temporary diet. Waterfowl, like all young birds, require a special diet to prevent development problems. Providing a small stuffed animal or untreated feather duster will give some comfort to the bird. If you are not able to bring the bird to a rehabilitator right away provide supplemental heat by placing half of the box on a heating pad, enabling the bird to move away from heat if it chooses. Remember, even though these birds are able to walk and swim soon after hatching, their mother would still be brooding them to keep them warm.

Good luck with the baby! It's adorable :)

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
Such an adorable thing. Hopefully you manage to raise the baby safely or if you are lucky to find wild life rehabilitators and give it to them for the best . :)

Raven1645

Checking out the neighborhood
Sorry for inactivity.

I made some calls and an animal recovery centre was able to take him.
They said it wasn't too late and they got it to eat.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That very good news! Thanks for the update. :)

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
That's great to hear!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.