• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP baby cockatiel may have leg problem

iceman2894

Checking out the neighborhood
My cockatiel has layed 4 eggs, 1 of them has died for an unknown reason after about 2 weeks, after 2 more days I found the weakest one with empty crop for prolonged time while the biggest 2 with full crop so I have decided to take him out as it seems that she isn't going to feed him like the other one, and started hand feeding

He has been eating okay since then, he is now 17 days old, but I suspect if he have a leg problem am not sure and there are no good vets around my area,
So if someone could guide me if this is normal or not,

His left foot is always at the back and the right foot front
Here are some pics, couldn't upload videos
1633632317900.png 1633632332335.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looks splayed - you will need a vet to set them in place well before the bird gets too old and it can´t be corrected at all. If no vet, try a local breeder, someone experienced
The chick looks quite scrawny/malnourished.

iceman2894

Checking out the neighborhood
Looks splayed - you will need a vet to set them in place well before the bird gets too old and it can´t be corrected at all. If no vet, try a local breeder, someone experienced
The chick looks quite scrawny/malnourished.
Thanks for replying quickly, I will try to find someone.

I was giving her cerelac at first until a breeder switched me to a special mix for them, is it okay to give her calcium and vitamin D3 drops ? are there any other thing that I should do?
She is given food 5 times a day about 5 cc each, she has some air I guess in her crop but a breeder said it's okay as she is young.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You should feed 10% of the chicks body weight. So if they weigh 30g, they should eat 3CC and when the crop is almost empty, feed the 3CC again.
If the bird weights 34g then it´s 3.4CC and so on.
A complete baby parrot formula is always the ideal food and no supplements needed with that. Something like Nutribird A21 or Hagen etc

Keeping the chick warm and in optimum humidity is very important. 60-65% is a good humidity level. Too dry or too hot and your bird will dehydrate. Too cold and your birds crop will slow causing digestive problems ie crop stasis and infection.

Tink65

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandra Gould
Years ago I had a splayed leg chick. I used a make up sponge with holes cut out for him to splint his legs into position. It's been so long so i don't remember the length of time I kept him splinted, but I kept him clean, made sure I entertained him :), monitored his eating to be sure he had all nutrients and ended up with a healthy little chick!