• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!! Baby Bunnies .. what to do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all ..

I know this is a long shot, but thought someone here might have some ideas.

This morning, my dog uncovered a small "nest" of 3 baby bunnies. One had already died, I don't know if my dog killed it, or if it was already dead.

They are young, eyes just opening. I have no idea what to do. I called the local Wildlife Rescue .. they said to move them to a safer area and hopefully the parents would find them, otherwise, to let nature take it course.

Okay .. so .. any clues as to what I can do for them at this age if their parents don't continue their care? Formula? Feeding? Water?

Ugh .. any ideas would be greatly appreciated .. I truly hate the "let nature take it's course" concept and at least want to try to help them.

Thank you!

Wilder

Walking the driveway
Keep the dog away and let the remaining babies be. Wild bunnies are notoriously hard to care for and will often end up dying anyway due to stress diarrhea. Their best chance is to be left alone, especially if eyes are already open.

Also remember that mother rabbits won't stay in the nest all day with their babies, but will instead nurse them at certain times. They aren't necessarily abandoned just because mama's not there. :)

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Wilder is right. They are very hard to raise. They tend to asperate easily when feeding with a syringe so we tube feed them. They will do great, start eating on their own, and then will crash. Of all the wildlife mammals we rehab, they are the biggest challenge.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Yea they are right, put the back...the mom only feeds once a day...usually dusk...as not to bring attention to her nest

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
A few years ago I found 2 that had had their nest run over by a lawn mower. I took them to the vet and was told try canned cat milk a, but they will never make it. I released them eventually as big strong fully grown bunnies. Still had their wild instincts and never became tame. So...you never know. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
I would put the babies back, keep the dog away, and watch to see if the mother does return. If she doesn't you can try Mary An's suggestion or look on the internet. If it doesn't work out, you at least tried.

Best of luck. Hope everything turns out alright

Status
Not open for further replies.